Want to identify this tree

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by For Greenies, Jul 23, 2014.

1. For Greenies

For Greenies Junior Member

Hi all, I am currently doing a design and wanting to identify this tree... Pic taken in June in NZ (winter), climate temperate/mediterranean.

Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]

2. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

That looks like a Paulownia to me.
    They're beautiful, and they have loads of uses.

3. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Paulowonias

Don't know why I can't see the pic. Paulowonias are a fast-growing tree, very light wood, but they are hollow in the middle when they are young.1 to 3 years. Then the hole in the center starts "healing up"

Benjy136

4. For Greenies

For Greenies Junior Member

Thanks guys, I read that it's nitrogen fixing and the timber makes great surfboards too! But won't be cutting this one down... luckily it's deciduous as it is on the north side of the site of a food forest I'm designing for a kindi.

5. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

I presume you are in the Northern Hemisphere, as in Oz, it's position would create a lot of shade on the "food forest". You should be advised that the tree is invasive, inasmuch as it will put forth others of it's kind from spreading (they really travel) roots. If it were cut down, also, it would grow back from the stump. I am continually mowing down new paulownia trees in my front lawn .

Benjy