Greetings from Vancouver, BC

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Axil, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Axil

Axil Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself.

A

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

So - tell us about yourself….

And tell me why it always rains in Vancouver?

3. Axil

Axil Junior Member

With a work background in building management, I would eventually like to apply the knowledge gained in PC Design towards my profession.

Btw ... it doesn't always rain in Vancouver - Climate of Vancouver

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It has become somewhat of a household joke at my place - the SBS news (that's one of our publicly funded broadcasters) always reports on Vancouver's weather in the international round up. And it always appears to be raining. I have visited twice and yes it rained the whole time I was there! Lovely city though, very friendly people.

Does building management mean you manage the process of building? Or you manage buildings once they are built?

5. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Hi Axil. I'm in a not dissimilar climate (Ireland).

6. Axil

Axil Junior Member

Thank you so much eco, we too are quite fond of Australians. It just so happens that we have a large population of Aussie tourists and expatriates in Vancouver, which could explain the common knowledge of our "wet" weather in your country.

I once heard that our governments foreign embassies mutually support each other's citizens. For example if by chance I were in trouble in a country like Russia and in need of consular services, I would go to either the Canadian embassy or Australian embassy for support. Not the US embassy, the same goes for Aussie travellers.

I manage once they're built :grin:

7. Axil

Axil Junior Member

Would love to visit your country someday

Tá cailíní na hÉireann álainn :inlove::inlove::inlove:

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Our not so popular prime minster was in your fair country recently and made the faux pax of calling it Canadia. Went the rounds of the media here like wildfire.

9. Axil

Axil Junior Member

OTTAWA (AP) Stung by a pop quiz about foreign leaders earlier in his campaign, U.S. Republican presidential candidate George W. Bush has fallen victim to a foreign affairs prank.

Canadians are chuckling over his on-air answer when a comic posing as a reporter made up a story that Canadian Prime Minister "Jean Poutine"; had endorsed him.

"I appreciate his strong statement[,] he understands I believe in free trade," Bush replied. "He understands I want to make sure our relations with our most important neighbour to the north of us, the Canadians, is strong and we'll work closely together."

Canada's prime minister is Jean Chretien, not Poutine, and he has endorsed no one in U.S. politics. Poutine is a popular food in the French-speaking province of Quebec, consisting of french fries, gravy and cheese curd.

"The stunt was pulled by comic Rick Mercer from "This Hour Has 22 Minutes," a satirical TV show on the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. Mercer, who sets up politicians for laughs. He button-holed Bush at a campaign event in Michigan before that state's Republican primary last month and fired several questions at him about a Prime Minister Poutine.

Canadians are keenly aware how little Americans know about them, a sense reinforced by Mercer, who has traveled in the United States fishing for evidence of that ignorance.

The real prime minister's office took the episode in stride, offering this response: "Clearly, Canada is not in the Bush leagues."

Gov. John Engler of Michigan, a border state with Canada, also didn't catch on when asked about Poutine at the same event. But he did seem surprised that a Canadian leader would supposedly take sides in a U.S. election.

In Arkansas, Mercer got Gov. Mike Huckabee to congratulate Canadians on their efforts to preserve their "national igloo," which Mercer had told him was melting because of global warming.

And he got American professors to sign a petition urging and end to the "Toronto polar bear hunt." Toronto is a city of 2.4 million people without any such bears.

Mercer said it's easy to lead his victims astray because they expect a straight question from someone they think is with the media.

"People don't really expect reporters to be asking trick questions," he said Monday. "It's all in really good fun."

https://www.dewit.ca/archs/poutine/index.html

---

[video=youtube;8KwEDgpSWxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KwEDgpSWxo[/video]

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

LOL! I'm glad we aren't the only country with dimwitted leaders. I didn't get to try poutine while I was there. A pleasure for another day….