How Long Do Peanut Plants Live For?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by PeaceWalkerTruthSeeker, May 21, 2014.

1. PeaceWalkerTruthSeeker

PeaceWalkerTruthSeeker Junior Member

Hi everyone,

It's been over a year since I planted my peanuts, and they still haven't died off.

I've seen from multiple sources that harvesting time is when the plant begins to die off.

Will my peanut plants definitely die off? They don't seem to show any signs of it yet...

I'm worried that my peanuts in the ground are turning into new plants :think:

Kind regards,

Jimmy.

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

where U???

3. PeaceWalkerTruthSeeker

I am on the Gold Coast in QLD.

4. void_genesis

void_genesis Junior Member

Peanuts will sometimes grow again once they form nuts if the conditions are warm and wet enough without properly going into dormancy for harvest. Thats why they grow them up over the range in places like Kingaroy where the cooler/drier winters give a clearer signal to put energy into the crop.

Are you sure you have peanut plants? Pinto peanut is pretty common but is more evergreen. Photos might help.....

5. PeaceWalkerTruthSeeker

I am certain that I have peanut plants. I have harvested them before, and grew new ones from the harvested peanuts.

New plants may be coming up, but I am definite that the old ones are still alive and kicking.

6. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

I grew a few once!
    No trouble with dormancy here!

7. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Ah its great to stumble across this thread!!

I'm first time growing peanuts this year, I'm in London and referred to the RHS website, So just out of curiosity I bought about a handfull of fresh peanuts at the farmers stall and started germinating about 4-5 days ago and already have about 4-5 sprouting roots!

Since this is London (Halfway through Spring now, temperatures sometimes reaching 23 Deg. C), Should I grow in a poly tunnel? I am converting my raised bed to install a removable poly tunnel such as the ones made from a pvc pipe frame draped with plastic sheeting.

Thanks