Just bought a 1 hectare area and want to start permaculture

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by eplegrand, May 4, 2014.

1. eplegrand

eplegrand New Member

Last weekend, we just bought 1 hectare of land and would like to start a small permaculture project on this. Maybe the land is not ideal but will try anyway. The land lis located in the North of Thailand about 50 km outside of Chiang Mai. It is located in the mountains. The area is about 150 times 60 meters and has a slope of about 6 degrees. The long side of the area goes from top to bottom, thus the narrow side goes along the slope. At the bottom of the land is a small creek that probably always has some water though in the rainy season, it will probably have a lot of water. Also, I expect that during the rainy season, there will be some water flow from the agriculture fields that are above this area.
    Currently, there is not much growing on it. I'm not sure at the moment on more details on the soil.
    So I'm wondering what to grow first in order to develop the soil. people told me that bananas are good. Though I think it should be a combination of several plants.
    Also the land doesn't have any gullies or something like that it is a rather flat 6degrees slope. So I was wondering if I should put in a couple of swales and a pond. Like I mentioned, I expect to have some catch of water during the rainy season.
    I would like to do these things soon as the rainy season is starting and would like to use that already this year.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Thanks,

Peter

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Welcome Peter - sounds like an interesting project. What permaculture experience do you have? Do you have maps and / or photos so people can get their head around the lie of the land? Marking which way is north is particularly important.

What is it you want to achieve? Enough to feed yourself, or an income for you and several other people? Are you living on the site? Do you have access to people to help with labour?

3. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Welcome!!
    Get a design manual ;;;; read it before doing ANYTHING!!!!
    Have a yarn to others around U

Have fun!!

4. rmcpb

rmcpb Junior Member

Welcome to the forum. I will watch this one with interest as its soooo different to my area.

The first thing I would do is to go to the fridge, get out a beer and watch what happens on your land for a long time. Watch for sun movements over the year, shadow length, water movement, check the soil, fix boundary fence, make lots of plans, change those plans frequently/all the time.

Once you get a handle on your plot then is the time to start making big changes. Don't rush it or you may well regret it.

As for the bananas, I would not do anything they sound a bit hungry to me and may not be the best for your soil.

Get to know your conditions and land first.

Cheers
    Rob.

5. eplegrand

eplegrand New Member

First of all thanks for the feedback. So I tried to mark the area in google maps
    https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zGpPf4Hi0_dI.kyBSXNMR81xg
    If you show this in terrain mode of google then you will see that thee height difference of left (lower) and right (higher) is less than 20 meter (expect about 17 meters). Though the terrain mode can't zoom in as much as this map.
    I would like to achieve with it first of all that it can feed my wife and me. Next sell a little as well, just to show that it is sustainable. Currently, we are not living there yet. We hope to move first to Chiang Mai (now we live near bangkok). While we are in Chiang Mai we can more easily go up and down to develop the area. Once it is developed (some of the plants start being bigger and a second generation plants / trees are growing). We probably could organize some people to help. Later I will add some pictures as well.

6. eplegrand

eplegrand New Member

7. eplegrand

eplegrand New Member

here are some images:
    1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-X_MwDgTm17MkJQbzdhdExRekpYTks3SG93ZWl6RVpZUjRv/edit?usp=sharing
    This shows the main area of the land. About 150 meter far and about 60 meter wide

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-X_MwDgTm17Y2FsUjFzSlRBdVRnSy1RTENhdGRpV2FPWUVJ/edit?usp=sharing
    The bambo fence is the end of the land. The houses thus are not part of the land

1. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-X_MwDgTm17allydG0zQ1lwbWxsZjNkTFBMTHFIcjR5MXIw/edit?usp=sharing
    This big tree is part of the land as well including a part of the land behind the tree. Also behind the tree is a creek

8. bazman

bazman Junior Member

The best thing you can do for a start is map your site and do a contour map. This contour map will also allow permies like us to help you much much better. Also try and work out where water will flow from so if you can extend the contour map into the areas above/higher than your site. The easiest way to do this is to hire a laser level or get a mate who has access to one so you can map your site. It's a two person job. You will find lessons online on how to make a contour map.

9. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hi Rob,

What if the individual/s in this situation need to plant ASAP for some food resources in the meantime? How could they put in a small temporary system that can #1 feed them, #2 not make any negative impact on the future whole system & #3 Be easy to work & design around?

Where would you put the mini temporary system on a square piece of land while you wait to build the main system? lets also say the person doesn't have or does not want to use pots (which are moveable if needed)?

10. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Try and put it close to your watering source as water is the biggest limiting factor in producing food, close to your shelter (zone1) and in a spot that is not to exposed to strong weather and in my case hot afternoon summer sun. Don't put it under and/or to close to big trees either. If you can find a spot that has good morning to midday sun and a slight slope in that direction. In Australia Permies often look for north east facing slightly sloping blocks. Old bath tubs or other movable vessels could also be an option. Set them up as a wicking bed design for the best results.

11. rmcpb

rmcpb Junior Member

I reckon my reply has been "auto filled" :)

I would basically put it anywhere that gets good sun and has a water supply. My point was not to rush the big stuff like swales, dams, keylining and tree lines. These are expensive and time consuming to put in so you want to get them right. Where you put a few vege patches is neither here nor there in the greater scheme as they can be easily moved at any time.