New permaculture community in Toowoomba

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by rowan, Mar 8, 2014.

1. rowan

rowan Junior Member

Hi, a few of us are looking at a property called The Gateway Lodge as a possible permaculture community 5kms east of Toowoomba. It's on sale for just under $1M and could house about 10 small households currently and has over 5ha.

We would need others to make this happen, either investors or tenants. Is anyone interested? Are there any local groups we could contact about this?

Cheers
    Rowan

2. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Try south east qld permaculture on facebook!

3. Cobby

Cobby Junior Member

4. darren burton

darren burton New Member

Hi Rowan. My name is Darren Burton and l currently am living in Highfields. My family and l are considering either to buy a property ourselves in the area and slowly try and convert it to a possible master site or look at community options. I would love to hear about what exactly you guys have in mind. l've done a PDC through PRI sunny coast (Tom Kendall). l would also like to get a permaculture Toowoomba and surrounding group started, as at this stage i have been unable to find any around. l would enjoy the opportunity to discuss these topics more with you. cheers

5. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

There is a group at Stanthorpe (some members visited here last week)
    Dylan graves is a teacher

6. dyllos

dyllos Junior Member

Hi Rowan

How did things go - did you get heaps of interest for a community?

Cheers
    Dylan

7. rowan

rowan Junior Member

Hi dyllos

We decided the place near Toowoomba wasn't suitable. The location was difficult and it was very dry. It would be hard to grow anything but natives. We looked at another place near Beenleigh which was better, but that group couldn't really afford those places. One person has since bought up in Maleny and we're talking to a cohousing project in Kuranda. But I'd really like to find something that wasn't car dependent. So if you hear of anything...

Cheers
    Rowan