Swales for vegetable garden/kitchen garden?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Sandra, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sandra

Sandra Junior Member

I'm very new to the permaculture concept and loving the learning
    Recently I've been preparing an area on our small block to increase production of food for our family

I've been planning towards creating Swales / berm for vegetable production but this morning that direction has been blurred by . . Maybe I should be building raised gardens?
    I'm waiting for geoff lawtons online course but I am so keen to get started. Have been given 5 huge bales of silage to kick start my mulching. The area has an east sloping aspect with roof water currently going into soak holes nearby. I must be able to redirect this water !

Are raised gardens recommended when the base soil is very wet and Swales when wanting to retain water?
    Any help would be great so I can get going :)

Maybe I should take some photos today . Would that help?

Thank in anticipation
    Sandra

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Don't rush into major earth works like swales. Wait until you have done the course. In the mean time plant a few things in pots to relieve the urge to grow stuff while you are waiting. And use the time up to your PDC to observe your property intensely.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    What part of the world do you live in Sandra? It would be good to know your climate etc. Sounds like you get a bit of rain.

While you are waiting for the PDC see if you can get hold of a copy of The Earth User's Guide to Permaculture (latest edition). It's covers alot of permaculture princples for getting set up eg the observing that eco talks about, how to analyse your soil at home etc.

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Sounds like you have some great opportunity Sandra. Good luck with your course. Make some notes of your observations and your wishes for the property too. What small animals do you intend to have as part of your system and where do the good and bad weather events come from. You can go crasy with wishes and work on paper.

5. Sandra

Sandra Junior Member

Thanks for your encouragement :) we live in the. Bay of Plenty New Zealand :) great place not far from Lake Rotorua. This area is referred to as central north Island or western bay of plenty.
    I have ducks, chickens and sheep.
    The northerly wind is a wild one which brings horizontal rain! The southerly wind is a gnarly one but in summer time we have gorgeous days even with a biting southerly blast. As we live on a plateau in the hills behind Lake Rotorua we are exposed to all directions.
    Our son and I have just last week built a new run for our hens in a paddock and cleared the old run and chook house to make way for a wonderful kitchen garden. I'm itching to get started. My glasshouse is nearby , growing tomatoes, zucchini, lettuce, beetroot, Kale, silverbeet, peppers. I'm reading the Introduction to permaculture Bill .s book which a friend gave me. She used to be his neighbour in Tasmania:)
    Well the sun is shining , it's a gorgeous crisp morning and I have lots to do :) so best get on with it
    Ideas are flowing, inspiration continues
    Sandra

6. Sandra

Sandra Junior Member

Is there anyone else on the forum who lives in Rotorua? I'd love to visit a property in action !
    Sandra

7. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I believe you get a copy of the Urban Permaculture DVD with the course. It shows a garden kind of like you want it. So patience may be the key. Besides, when you take a PDC you may get better ideas yourself.

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty