Hello from the bush (Oztralia)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by ozhank, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ozhank

ozhank Junior Member

What a wonderful site to discover.

I have a property down the border way between Queensland and NSW. It is mostly native forest, where I have a few milking goats for cheese etc, 2 sows and a boar of Cornish Black pure breed, some chooks, and beginning orchard, a work in progress mud brick home, a shed with my solar panels/batteries/inverter and landline. I also have a work-in-progress aquaponics system to feed myself( mostly successful) with 15 gravel beds in production (they were until cooked in the heat).

It would be great to get the odd visitor to assist with some projects I can't do alone. I am planning on making the OSE CEB press once I have repaired my skidsteer loader. Then I will be able to build my training room area with kitchen, pantry, wet area for toilets, showers, laundry, and then add some extra bedroom modules as time and shekels permit.

It is hot/dry over summer and cold over winter. We definately get 4 seasons. I have 2 large dams for water, with rainwater harvesting from the shed. Lots of other ideas in the pipeline, but can only do slowly due to health restrictions.

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    howdy, welcome! :)

yes, it can be quite the place for so many reasons, great resources, people to talk to about projects or just general chatter when the walls seem too familiar and most everything else seems too remote (Goldilocks Syndrome?). :)

it sounds like you have a great deal on your plate there and also some restrictions. i'm somewhat restricted myself too at times, so it's good to hear there are others that are just doing what they can when they can and getting on with it. :)

we are not so remote here, but we are more remote than those who live in the cities and in the more populated roads around here. so the idea of being more remote appeals to me at times, but then other times i want the beam-me-up-Scotty-teleporter-booths so i can go to town for a library visit or bit of something different or to visit a friend who's too far away otherwise.

sorry to hear about your fried gravel bed gardens, but i hope you've learned how to get through another similar spell next time?

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

Gday welcome

Aquaponics is one of my favourite subjects Permie Purists wouldn't bother with it , but its great fun , guessing the hot wind would have done the damage .

I had pigs for many years and milking goats miss them but cant do everything only so many hours in a day .

Start a thread in the members section and you can record your journey there .

4. ozhank

ozhank Junior Member

Thank you. I graduated to aquaponics, as the tree roots will go through plastic/shade cloth/weed matting to get to water, so the plants I am trying to grow, can't get enough. At least now, they food is growing with little work each day, which allows me to spend more time doing other things.

5. Bananarama

Bananarama Junior Member

Welcome ozhank ! What part od QLD/NSW are you in?? I'm hoping not too far from Mullum as I would be happy to swap some energy in each other projects. :)

6. ozhank

ozhank Junior Member

Mullim is over the hill from me, so to speak. I did work around Lismore for a few years, but ended over the western side of the range, as I could afford it, and it was close to me work then.

I have started a system description, and will slowly add images etc as time permits.

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

You lucky, lucky people :)