Self-paced Course: Digital Mapping/GIS for Small Landowners and Permaculture Design

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by alaliber, Nov 19, 2013.

1. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member

Learn how to map your land using open source software and freely available data. This course introduces digital mapping tools and techniques (Geographic Information Systems or GIS), and how small landowners and permaculture designers can use these tools with freely available data for site planning. The course provides an excellent introduction to GIS for any small landowner interested in visualizing terrain of the land, planning layout of buildings and gardens, and using GIS maps in Google Earth. You will learn about freely available aerial photos, topographic data, soil maps, and other spatial layers, as well as open source software used in this course.
    Cost: $125, includes CD with all GIS data, step by step tutorials, power point slides with examples of outputs, sources of free data, email support for questions. Course Developer: Andrea Laliberte.

More details about course content can be found at the course website https://www.earthmetrics.com/courses

Andrea Laliberte
    Brownsville, Oregon

2. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

Looks good! I will try it out.

3. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member

Let me know if you need more info than you can find on the website.

4. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Very interesting! Something I've been meaning to learn. However, I'm outside of the US and I have found that much less data is available to us online. Even Google Earth is quite low-res here. So my question is: How relevant is the course for someone outside of the US?

5. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member

The portion of the course that deals with using GIS data in Quantum GIS would apply anywhere, because it is focused on teaching the basics of GIS, digitizing and creating new data layers and running basic analysis. As for exploring a web-based GIS and where to find and download free GIS data, that depends on what you can find for your area. Every country, state (or province) and most larger municipalities everywhere have GIS data somewhere online today, but not all of them may be free.

The GIS data you need for the course are all supplied on the CD, so you would not have to find data to go through this course. If you are interested in buying the course, I can give you some pointers where you might look for free data for your area. Where are you located?

6. Rick Larson

I received the package in the mail today. But I have so much churning around in my mind right now I am going to wait until winter descends before working on it.

7. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member

I know the feeling! Whenever you get to the course, feel free to contact me with questions.

8. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member

I have just released a new online version of this GIS course. Previously I have offered the course on CD, but this new online version of the course is all video-based to allow the student to follow the tutorials with ease. Check out the new webpage at https://www.earthmetrics.com/courses/

9. Rick Larson

10. alaliber

alaliber Junior Member