Top bar bee hives.

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by mischief, Oct 12, 2013.

1. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

The other year I went to NZ. We took a walk through a forest area and on the edge was a large field of flowers. I only saw one honey bee. Varroa mites must be wiping them out. I used to have 6 hives but the day finally came and I had to move them out. Saddest day of my life to see the last of my bees go.
    My mate is a one man operation and this is his first year on the canola. Out in the channel country there is nothing so he went south. Lack of rain isn't helping either.

2. rmcpb

rmcpb Junior Member

Yeh, the drought is really messing up lots of things, the bees included. Add monoculture crops and its a real mess.

Your mate will fine the honey off the canola will candy really quickly, this happens when our bees get on the wild turnip as well.

3. briansworms

He is well aware how quick it candies. He is currently renovating his honey shed. I gave him a hand last weekend to put the uncapper and his two extractors back in. Plus the cappings spinner. We just sat them in position as I had to go. He is in a mad rush now to finish it so he can extract off the canola. Capilano is offering $6 a kg for honey this month. That will only be because nobody has any for sale lol. That is another reason he wants the shed finished so he can get a couple of IBC's up there before the end of the month.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Why is that? Does the honey have a higher sugar content or something? (The candy thing that is…)

5. rmcpb

rmcpb Junior Member

No idea why it candies so quickly but its a nice honey and if its warmed enough to make it runny again it tends to stay runny for quite a while.

Odd stuff.

6. briansworms

The canola honey was extracted last Friday. Well most of it. It was a race against time to fill an IBC and get it to Capilano before 2pm when they stop receiving. We got there at 2.15 and had phoned to let them know it was coming. It was the last day for the $6 per kg. Thats $1.50 a kg extra so worth the effort.