The Glorification of Busyness

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by pavelbentham, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pavelbentham

pavelbentham Junior Member

2. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I've never had that particular problem, so I guess I won't be suffering from brain rickets any time soon!

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Very true. I grew up with it hammered into me that one must be busy from morning til night. My dad worked non-stop. If he wasn't working for his business, he was at home working in his shed making or repairing something. He always had lists of stuff to do. I have struggled my whole life with this thing about only being worthy if you are busy working, working, doing, doing. But things are changing. Now that I am home every day I try to take more time to do tasks rather than trying to rush through a list of 'jobs'. Today I put on classical music and read a book for an hour - because I could - and I didn't feel guilty! I put more thought and time and care into everyday chores and I enjoy doing it! Not being busy was associated with being lazy. But there is a big difference in being lazy and taking time to be mindful and still and to appreciate the beauty in a blue sky. My partner works a job that is 5 days on and 5 days off continuously. This gives us a lot of time together. Sometimes we just sleep in and have a drawn out breakfast and read in bed. Sometimes we take our old campervan and go off to a little conservation reserve somewhere and have walk around and a cup of tea. Those are the important things in life. :)

4. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Bliss!

5. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I have been busy digging swales, piling up hugelbeds, planting food bushes & trees, and harvesting crops. Drying, canning, fermenting, all over my house right now!

The immediate future is secure. Doesn't get anymore blissful that that.

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Nice!

7. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Wow - that's me too - being raised by people who placed inordinate value on never being idle. In fact, I come from a whole line of them! And I too struggle with the guilt of allowing myself to just be. Fantastic that you've challenged this & have a more balanced life now :)

8. pavelbentham

Here's the thing, I didn't come from such a background. My mother has suffered various illnesses throughout her life, so has always had to take it fairly easy. My dad, he worked hard, but always had time for his hobbies - in the past, that was harness racing and building floats and buggies; these days it is reading and ranting in his journal. It was society that kept me in check. From a young age I set out to 'make it'. I guess I did, in the eyes of society.

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

I was never interested in being busy for the sake of busy
    I do what I have to do
    I was lucky to set up my own business in my early 20s so I could work when I wanted to work and still be able to eat and pay the bills.
    I do marathons to finish stuff if it needs finishing and I do lots of nothing really well to.
    Most of my success is more luck and good planning than it is hard work.
    The work hard mantra is just a myth designed to create good wage slaves.

10. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    some days i watch the clouds roll on by.

soon it will be winter and i'll be able to watch sparkles and wind drift patterns in the snow.

for the short term, harvest time is here and also finishing up projects time. work it is, but it is work i enjoy so it is very hard to call it work, most days it is play, it is observation, it is interaction with creatures of all sorts.

11. lukemurphy

lukemurphy Junior Member

This is something I have struggled with too. I see there being so much work to be done, and if I'm not busy solving the worlds problems then I feel guilty.

I have been getting better with this lately though, taking the occasional midday nap. Sleep is the best way for me to relax currently, as if I'm doing something awake (ie yoga) theres that nagging voice, thinking of the progress that could currently be being made if I was working on something.

I try to keep telling myself that more 'progress' will happen if I am healthy and relaxed, and I hope I am slowly getting there.

12. pavelbentham

People keep telling me to pay attention to my breathing. A great state of relaxation can be found this way. Tried it today. Was out like a light. Had a delightful 20 minute nap. Ooops.

13. yfnn

yfnn Junior Member

I've never judged anyone on quantity of creation lol but quality. Quantity is a minor part of quality in my opinion and ..

My peers really only care about quality. Quantity is nothing compared to quality. A thousand behs is horrible compared to one SHINING GOODNESS. I live in a city presently too, I know many.