Snake Oil

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by 9anda1f, Sep 30, 2013.

1. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Resilience.org is serializing Richard Heinberg's new book, "SNAKE OIL: How Fracking's False Promise of Plenty Imperils Our Future". Chapter 1 is now available here. Even if you are well-versed in peak-oil cause and effect, this book provides a comprehensive analysis of the issues and ramifications surrounding energy (and energy sources). If not, this book is required reading. Very well written, Richard conveys the essential sense of urgency appropriate to the current state of energy supplies we are experiencing today.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-09-25/snake-oil-chapter-1-this-is-what-peak-oil-looks-like

PLUS: Here's a couple of "bonus" articles relevant to "Snake Oil".
    US shale oil hides crude oil peak in rest of world
    Geology beats technology: Shell shuts down oil shale pilot project

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Fracking, the act of getting flammable water out of your tap.

It's as crazy as the methane hydrate movement which nearly killed everyone.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

can i say it makes no sense in supporting one false science and berating another, all this stuff is encouraged by scientists they make good money out of it, just like in the chemical industry. profits first.

just imagine once they spoil an aquafa, it is not repairable, at any cost.

here CSGers could enter our land and drill for gas no questions asked.

len

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Here I was thinking all the stuff is encouraged by the people who worship the Business As Usual God

5. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Sure, you can 'say' it, Len, but it doesn't mean that it's correct. If you are referring to the science of climate change (which I suspect you are) as being 'false', then you are in disagreement with 97% of the world's climate scientists, of which about 50,000 contributed to the most recent IPCC Report:

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

Likewise, if you are suggesting 'scientists' are 'encouraging' the destruction of the planet by supporting the development of coal seem gas or tar sands, then may I suggest you have not bothered to read from the links previously supplied by 9anda1f, in particular:

https://www.resilience.org/stories/...logy-shell-shuts-down-oil-shale-pilot-project

I realise the above will not sit well with your world view, but in the interests of furthering reasoned and rational discourse in relation to the thread topic, one can only try.

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

look mark with your friend GH chiming in with very little but biblical innuendo, and you with the false science what did you expect the latest IPCC report to do tell the truth of the matter? no! it supports their models that is all it will ever do, and they will interpret the readings so a they remain well paid in a lifestyle that is not sustainable.

we already know there is no common ground and any benefit perma-c had 30 or so years ago has long since vanished into the quagmire of ego's and holier than though stuff. 97% of the worlds climate scientists is not get it not 97% of all science nor is it any sort of a figure out of 7 billion people more locally 23 million aussies, i talk to these people strangers to me through our shopping days, none get this mark none agree with your science, they say they already have bulls manufacturing that garbage.

they do support tearing up our land for coal and CSG they talked our farmers into broadacre mass destruction of habitat all has failed they GMO's food all failed, mark you cannot protect science from its shame, faceless and nameless. they are denialists of what they cause if someone points to an issue they deny it, they are no % of our population, honour among thieves.

len

7. Grasshopper

Are any of the people you meet on your shopping trips practising climate scientists?

8. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Just noticed: 'Group for banned users'. It's a shame, but probably best for the community. Nice knowing you, Len. I hope you can eventually find peace in a world that you may not understand. Take care, Markos

9. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Thanks for the link 9anda1f - it was one I was looking at buying - so $$ saved. :)

10. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I helped fund that book.:)

11. 9anda1f

Climate:
  12. Grasshopper

This part is the eye opener for me
    Basically its a ponzi scheme,that maintains and feeds off the delusion of BAU

13. 9anda1f

Climate:
    Chapter 3:

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-10-09/snake-oil-chapter-3-a-treadmill-to-hell