Capitilism vs. the Climate

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by matto, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Xio

Xio Junior Member

Do you have anything to say that might actually have factual credibility because I like to think this forum is for spreading knowledge not BS

I've only been on this forum for a short time but I now believe that the earth is flat................................how's that!

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Whats that based on, care to share, so we can see the facts that led to this and we can make an informed logical rational conclusion?

* links to a Murdoch paper dont count

3. Xio

Xio Junior Member

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

The above is the letters page relating to the closure of the Climate Commission and as such are the opinions of the readers of the paper. The reference to the Flat Earth Society is here -

The writer appears to be saying that denying the reality of climate change and not making it a political priority is akin to believing in the Flat Earth theory.

What is it that you are trying to say Xio because I'm confused? If you are just making fun of people in order to provoke a response then I would ask that you take your comments elsewhere.

5. Grasshopper

Xio feel free to let us know your opinions on the thread topic and try and include some factual references.
    Im sure you can quote some Alan Jones like you have in the past on other forums.
    I imagine that would be considered facts for the believers.

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

So, to get a grasp on this, you are saying that permaculture has turned in to a system of making money for teachers? That without a free knowledge model, permaculture can go no further because the masses can't afford to pay $2000 odd and take 2 weeks off work? IF this is the meat of your discontent, then I don't think you will find many that will disagree with you. However, it is possible to get a free PDC. I can't say that every teacher does this, but there are supposed to be several scholarships in each PDC class. Unfortunately, it's not well know or advertised(it's about as well advertised as Permaculture itself). The scholarships have specific reasoning behind them, I'm not sure if it's just for people who can't afford to pay the money or if it's for people in the region where the class is held who can't afford to pay the money. In essence, those that can pay the $2000 dollars help pay for the people who can not pay it.

However: https://www.permaculturedesigntraining.com/

So for anyone that has yet to take a PDC, can't afford it and would like to do one, there you go. The world's first free online PDC with forums. Please note that certification will cost something, once it's implemented. But you don't need to be certified if all you want to do is work on your own land.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Exactly like I am.
    I want to teach, I don't can't afford the courses by any means what so ever. Power tools? HA! Closest thing is a chain saw, we don't even have a lawn mower.

Champion of the poor? Meh, why label people, then again, I call myself a hummingbird because I am simply doing the best I can.

8. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It's your choice, but you do not need to be confrontational, & unlike Len, it would be nice for a contrary to at least read articles & other things posted as rebuttal instead of having, or acting like having a contrary view for the sake of forum disruption. Have a nice life. ((That means you are also ignored now)).

Incidentally, Permaculture in Scotland has done so well over the last 30 years there is village with it's own currency used in the rest of Scotland. Food Forest farms have been in existence for over 2000 years, so honestly, I think you are just ignorant to the world & Permaculture with a chip on the shoulder to bring others down.

9. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

paka as you say there is a locality in scotland that is permaculture driven to say the least, your story, in near on 15 years this story ahs never surfaced, in a couple instances i mentioned a scottish hamlet i think in their north east where as a community neighbour made wind generators so all in the village could have power. no one here even acknowledged the story, i tried googling it with no success. at the very least it showed a community in support of each other, wouldn't imagine too much over the fence bickering going on hey. unlike here there is no community just manipulation others like you if your a 'yes' person or dislike you if you have a different view. they have nothing running to bring anyone around only green type political wrangling.

where is this place paka?? share please, can we talk to the people find out how the developed non-political common ground, as you can see and by your judgements of others there is no common ground between yank and aussie p/cers.

food forestry farms would not have been in existance as such for that amount of time, people grew where they could if it happened to be in a forest clearing so waht, they did not identify it as food forest, so let's not sully past food growing efforts by fitting them into and naming them our way.

don't see the need for PDC(shock horror hey) that will forever scare the grass roots masses away as they will see it for what it is, a money maker for some person. gaia might claim naming rights to permaculture, organic, natural growing etc.,. but all the processes are common sense, no money in common sense hey like no money in planting trees.

anyhow you have your finger on the pulse of the thread, you see influential permaculturists putting in stumbling blocks, judging people they don't like, building walls, so whatever is is in scotland has no hope in the US or Oz. whatever discriminations there are here it drives people to dislike others all for the wrong reasons, go figure hey we are talking intelligent unwise people here.

you have much imput paka, create some common ground.

len

10. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

There are ancient food forests in Asia. It goes back to the statement: "There is nothing new in Permaculture". It's all borrowed from somewhere.

You can't do any better than a free PDC that is also online. It's the basic information about Permaculture. I can't speak for all areas, but there are also quite a lot of free workshops(not permaculture) within 20 miles of my house from keeping bees and chickens to planting veggies. The information is out there and will cost people nothing. There's just no way to make people do it, that is completely up to the individual.

11. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

unmutual how are you?

what some ancient cultures do is not going to help us unite on common ground.

still do not see the need for PDC, people need to grow food as best they can on thier plot be it balcony or cliff ace, simply and with sense and common sense, too much time wasted promoting PDC and too little time in encouraging people to get started, PDC for sale took pc away from the grass roots masses, to much high brow, like one person said they now have a piece of paper in a frame to show friends when sharing cocktails(heard this many times actually), another said the best he could say about oer priced pdc he did was he paid to do someone else's pet projects, very little class room all reference gained from library books.

i'd like to know more about that scottish community how pc is it? and what is their common bond it will go deeper than a gardening process.

len

12. Grasshopper

Some good news for the Environment over Capitalism

Shell is pulling out of Shale Oil in Colorado (Chevron did too earlier)

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2013-09-30/commentary-shell-s-shale-oil-shutdown-1-800-dry-hole

31 years of research
    Potentially 800 billion Barrels of Oil
    https://resourceinsights.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/geology-beats-technology-shell-shuts.html

And we have Abbott building the roads of the 21st Century
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCiHFyLIfu8
    Not aware of the the concept back in 2008
    Thinking competition would keep the price down (no concept of supply restraints)
    Arguing at certain prices new technologies and previously un economic reserves would become viable (no concept of the need for "cheap" oil not just oil to make his magic pudding grow)

13. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Are you talking about Findhorn as the Scottish community?

And I agree that people need to grow their own food. As far as I can tell, growing your own food is one of the best things you can do as a human being at this point in history.

14. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Chasing Ice - National Geographic Channel - get on it now!!!

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I saw it, did you see the video of the equivalent of NYC calving into the ocean? It was terrifying. I have a photo of when I was at Hubbard Glacier of a 4 story section of ice calving, but the one I saw in the video was something the size of the Empire State Building+++!