GMO Wheat Found In Oregon Field. How Did It Get There?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Pakanohida, May 31, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

A farmer in Oregon has found some genetically engineered wheat growing on his land. It's an unwelcome surprise, because this type of wheat has never been approved for commercial planting.
    The U.S. Department of Agriculture says it's , trying to find out how this wheat got there. The USDA says there's no risk to public health, but wheat are worried about how their customers in Asia and Europe will react.

https://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2...wheat-found-in-oregon-field-howd-it-get-there

Japan cancelled its wheat import from the US.

https://www.kgw.com/news/local/Japan-suspends-some-US-wheat-imports-209551661.html

TOKYO -- Japan has suspended certain wheat imports from the United States after a genetically-modified crop was found growing in an Oregon field.
    Japan, the second-biggest importer of U.S. wheat behind Mexico, canceled some orders while the U.S. tries to figure how the illegal Monsanto wheat got to the Eastern Oregon farm.

I can no longer say I will be safe. All it takes is a bird to go west from east & drop 1 seed to screw over an organic farm. :sweat:

2. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

You are not safe for some time.... nobody is safe. :-(

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I agree, I think the world is no longer safe regarding this GMO world tragedy.

4. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I'm fairly sure (unscientifically) that the GMO genie is out of the bottle. I think the best next line of defense is to hold some crops GMO free in perpetuity, like sugarcane for instance. Sugarbeets(the most common source of refined white sugar) is GMO. Sugarcane is not (yet). Actually, I'm not sure if anti-monopoly laws couldn't be used to fight that. Of course, having a single type of crop being GMO would be the best thing, while having everything else free from GMOs. For instance, having a single grain being GMO(corn), while having the rest of them not GMO(wheat, oats, barley, etc.).

Another thing we could always do is keep a list of GMO crops and just not eat those crops ever. However, I'm not sure about the safety of GMOs that were designed to actually help people and not just to increase a company's bottom line, such as golden wheat. Are there any studies done on say the freeze proof strawberries from California which doesn't involve excessive use of a chemical like glyphosate? I'm still unconvinced that the science behind GMOs is wrong, but I know Monsanto's application of that science is very wrong.

5. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

It is always the greedy use of science that is wrong not the science. Golden wheat or golden rice? golden rice is proven hoax.

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Golden wheat was(is?) a GMO, where the technology was used to add vitamin A to wheat. I have no idea why I can't find any google results on it, my daughter did a science project on golden wheat in high school. /shrug

7. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

I found this article today on the subject: Did Monsanto Just Ruin the Economy?

I'm also in agreement with there is becoming no sure way to guarantee you are safe from Monsanto and the truly sicko thing is that they want it that way
    :n:

8. matto

matto Junior Member

Hi Unmutual, it was Golden Rice that has been engineered to produce Vit. A.

9. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Something to think about.

GM microorganisms are used to make vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), xanthan (a thickener), citric acid, and enzymes used in cheeses, breads and baked goods, alcoholic beverages, and juice.

Most people are thinking, corn and soy; the big stuff. But it is almost ubiquitous in the items listed above.

10. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Sometimes I need more coffee....

11. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

12. Earth's Internet

13. Earth's Internet