Consultancy??$$

Discussion in 'Permaculture consultants, businesses, resources' started by Palasis, May 23, 2013.

1. Palasis

Palasis Junior Member

Hi guys,

I need a little help. I have a potential client that wants me to do some planning and work on her site. I'd love to know what a novice should charge for a consult. I'll probably have my work cut out for me so if anyone has some good ideas about how i should charge my services that would be much appreciated.

My guess is i'd charge a consultancy fee ($???), hourly rate for labour($??)and then materials.

Palasis:think:

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Palasis,

I moved your post to the consultancy sub-forum. The "Ask the Experts" forum is reserved specifically for ask-the-expert events.
    Thanks!
    Bill Kearns

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day again, Palasis. How much do you think you are worth? Better still, how much is your client able to pay? I give all of my clients the opportunity to select their own hourly rate, and have done so for about three years now. To date, it has been working extremely well. Cheerio, Markos.

4. Palasis

Palasis Junior Member

Gday Markos,

Thanks for your reply. It gives me a good idea of what I should do. It's like I already knew the answer. I think she is able to pay decently but ill be modest with my knowledge.
    Can I ask you something a little more specific. I need to add nitrogen fixing ground covers to her potential food forest very soon, so when should I start planting leguminous trees (summer?) and what varieties should they be?. I'm on the gold coast and I think I need to cut down some eucalyptus trees to minimize competition. I'll be doing some research myself but I would love some senior advice.
    Thanks again.
    Palasis

5. ecodharmamark

Sure, no worries. In my experience, unless you are an extremely experienced permaculture designer (e.g. Holmgren), it's probably best to undertake a full site/client analysis first, before you even think of sticking a shovel in the ground (or in this case, lopping or removing existing veg, etc.). I presume that you have undertaken a PDC, and therefore you have, at the very least, an understanding of what a site (including zone and sector, climate, geology, cultural history, etc.) and client (including number of people - permanant/visiting, age requirements/restrictions, special needs, etc.) analysis may entail?

I understand (from your previous posts) that you have recently been in Southeast Asia, and I imagine that this experience has inspired you to come back home and to get stuck into it on the GC. This is a great thing, and I can only encourage you to do so. I also understand that you might want to get as much nitrogen into the ground as soon as you can, etc. However, without knowing exactly what the site offers in terms of all its opportunities and constraints, I really can't advise other than suggest the following:

Start with Principle 1: Observe (the site/needs of the client including a full zone and sector analysis) and Interact (with the client in order to produce a first draft plan).

Repeat Principal 1: Observe (undertake a detailed study as to the characteristics of the of the bioregion in which the site is situated) and Interact (draw up a first draft design and take it back to the client).

I really don't have a clue where you are on your permaculture journey. So if any of the above sounds condescending, please accept my most humblest of apologies. Please let me know if any of the above makes sense.

Regards, Markos.

6. Palasis

Palasis Junior Member

Thanks so much Markos for your info and time. I'll be pulling out the PDC notes and spending some time at the location before i do anything. It all makes sense and i'm open to all information i can get. What i'd really like is an experienced partner in this right now, or even a mentor i guess who is local.

Cheers Markos

7. ecodharmamark

Don't ever be afraid to put your hand up and ask for help (I'm in contact with my mentor/s at least once a week). As for where you might find a mentor within your local bioregion, don't forget the WPN is a great (searchable) resource. And of course, if ever I (we) can be of further assistance, you only have to ask.

8. Palasis

Palasis Junior Member

Thanks so much for your support, i'm sure you'll hear from me again markos.

regards
    Palasis

9. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

you could have a sliding scale ;from 0$ for little old pensioners to quite a bit for people who have better capacity to pay!
    good luck!

10. matto

matto Junior Member

Snappy website Markos, and a good price structure too!

G'day Palasis, you should try to catch up with the folk at Permaculture Gold Coast, at Southport community gardens. They are experienced in the area and would likely help your project.

11. ecodharmamark

Cheers, Matto. It's a 'work in progress'...