Starting from scratch - finding resources to create a garden

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Gardening Rob, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Gardening Rob

Gardening Rob Junior Member

We live on a small acerage in a temperate area of southern Australia. Having lived and worked (and gardened) all over Australia in the hottest, dryest parts, we decided we would like to spend the rest ofour lives somewhere pleasant for a change!

Our block is an 11+ acre wind-swept hill. The topsoil is shallow and the soil underneath is clay and crumbling shale. The covering vegetation was grass, which had been grazed by horses for many years. It was iron hard and not very fertile.

The first method of gardening we tried was the usual dig-up-the-ground. This activity did not last for very long... The next was trying to find stable manure and piling it on the ground. This worked a little better, but there was a lot of saw-dust in the mix and it tended to leach out the nitrogen as it broke (slowly) down. The I found the local sale-yards. There I could get as much manure as I wanted to shovel. Over the last 6 months I have shovelled tonnes of the stuff and lost 21 kilos! I put the manure onto ground that has been sprayed with glysophate (to kill the invasive grasses) to a depth of about 30cm. That is topped with straw, which stops it drying out and prevents any weeds coming up. The earthworms turn this into an super rich, crumbling soil in about 2 months, but I usually begin planting out a week or so after the manure is put down. After the worms get to work, the ground is easy to dig over. The hardest part is shovelling the manure, but it is free and has had a very positive effect on my health as well as the garden. A win, win situation.

2. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Sounds good Rob. Just an idea - at the Permaculture Research Institute they use as their 'herbicide' beer cartons they get for free from the local pub. They overlap them when they lay them on the ground so they starve the grass and weeds of light, then start piling their soil etc on top of the cartons. The cartons will eventually break down but by then the weeds beneath won't be a problem. Might save you some money and be better for the soil in the long run.

Mont

3. Gardening Rob

We have tried the cardboard and rejected it in favour of really thick layers of newspaper. We found that because the manure was not touching the soil, it took a lot longer to break down and the earthworms took longer to get into it. The manure is best when it has contact with the existing soil, so that the microbes and worms can get into it. I would use the carborad/newspaper method if I wasn't in such a hurry to get garden beds established... I guess I am just another addition to seething hordes in the haste race! :D

Robyn

4. derekh

derekh Junior Member

If I understand things correctly, the purpose of the cardboard is to prevent weeds from germinating and coming up through the mulch.

How about solarizing the weeds by laying out a sheet of plastic / tarp over the proposed garden bed. Heat from the sun will kill off the existing weeds and seeds. I think solarizing even kills off difficult weeds like Nut Grass. When ready, remove the plastic and place the manure / mulch mix directly on the soil.

Just my 2 cents worth.

derek

5. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Rob,

Good luck with your garden.

I thought seeing as ppl were putting their 2 cents in that i might join them.... as out of character that may be for me :D

I have quite a few sheets of old corrigated iron lying about so i use that to solarise weeds and grass.... its takes about 2 months for this to be totally effective. I 'borrowed' this technique from the 2001 ABC gardener of the year... its a method he used on his property in Armidale.

I am hoping this will save me quite a bit of work when it comes time to planting!

Take care and welcome to the forum.

Dave

6. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

ah. killing invasive weeds...

solarising, depriving of light.

but still haven't found a way to kill couch grass or kikiu grass...

many a raised bed have been destroyed by these monsters!

dan

7. Gardening Rob

We have the dreaded couch grass (as mentioned by Dave), and we have found the only thing that kills this particular couch is glysophate. Believe me, we have tried everything else, including digging it over and sifting it. It only takes one tiny piece and it's back again. (ask me how I know)... Since no other sprays are used in the garden, I don't mind using a bit of glysophate.

8. Gardening Rob

Oops, as mentioned by Dan, not Dave...

9. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

hey robyn.

can you explain glysophate? is it very bad in the scale of chemicals????

not too worried - we are now developing our bush block...8 acres...poorest soil you'll ever see, no grass, let alone couch so in some ways i'm excited about that.

my only fear is how close can i let the gums grow to the vege garden. i've heard they'll find a water source up to 20 meteres away!!!

dan

10. vix

vix Junior Member

Glyphosate is a chemical so it's best not to use it if it can be helped but couch is the evil scourge of the planet as far as I'm concerned, and it does need to be destroyed in whatever way possible. I have heard there is a pine oil based weed killer that desicates the plant it is applied to but don't know where to get it.Try the organic nasaa or demeter folks.
    Glyphosate is dodgy as it is applied with a surfactant (detergent type thing), which means it can leach down into the soil and into rivers. It is best not to use it near any watercourse as it will kill frogs too.
    But it's worth using in some cases.
    Good luck.

11. Snake

Snake Junior Member

Apparently glyphosate is a growth hormone and it kills the plants by encouraging them to grow at a rate beyond which they can actually sustain; basically they shoot forth, wilt and die - I think! I would be as concerned with the addition of growth hormones into the ground from which you wish to extract your vegetables; that said, I am unaware as to the life of the stuff once in the ground, or what its effects are in the long term. If you want growth hormones, buy chickenmeat from your supermarket!

I envy you the availability of the manure source - it's probably exactly what we need here in Meekatharra! The local kangaroos are far more sparing with their contributions and never seem to gather in sufficient numbers!

Cheers,

Mark Goodman :cool:

12. millefleurs

millefleurs Junior Member

I had a really unfortunate experience with trying to mulch out couch grass. When I moved into the little old house I currently occupy (which is not the site I am proposing to build on) I took up the horrible carpet and found this fantastic old underlay. I think it was made of a vegetable fibre similar to coir, definitely old and pre-dating the use of fungicides and synthetic underlay. What a perfect material for a weed barrier I thought. Well the couch grass thought I had built it a freeway. The runners zoomed over and through that lovely spongy material like a BMW on a German autobahn. This was my first experience with couch, and I was perplexed for a long while. How come my garden was getting weedier, with all that fabulous mulch? Now I don't muck around - the judicious use of glyphosate is the answer.

My 2 cents worth would be to spray once, then let the area rest a while before planting. Establish a defined edge to the garden bed or tree surrounds, then establish a runner-free zone beyond that. If you are vigilant, you can reduce the risk of invasion. Bloody hard work, and goes somewhat against the permaculture philosophy, but, hey, when you have couch growing up through your floorboards like some bloody triffid, it's a compromise worth making! :cool:

13. muttabuttasaurus

muttabuttasaurus Junior Member

Heck, I would have to be very desperate to use a chemical weed killer, can't imagine doing it at all really, but I don't actualy have any evidence for why roundup/glyphosate is actually bad. Geoff had a handout he'd distribute at pdc's along the lines of "top ten reasons not to use roundup". I think the general idea is that it gets into the water supply and perverts the soil microfauna etc but to be honest I never paid much attention to the specifics cause I have just come to take it as given that artificial chemicals cause more problems than solutions. Seems our understanding of just exactly why this is so is incomplete though the circumstancial evidence is abundant.
    anyone have any concrete facts as to why roundup sucks?

14. derekh

derekh Junior Member

The problem with water containation is not so much with glyphosate but with the carrier agent. Glyphosate itself is supposed to de-activate upon contact with soil but this is not always the case.

There are "frog friendly" glyphosate products available that address water contamination by using different carrier agents. I think "Touchdown" or "WipeOut" are examples.

My current TAFE subjects involve chemical control of pests and weeds, so I don't profess to be any expert and I don't have my books readily available to give specific details.

cheers
    Derek

15. d_donahoo

d_donahoo Junior Member

great converstaion.

i guess the key is always - at what point do you compromise principles for practicality...

those who have experienced extremely invasive weeds like couch can obviously justify the use of chemicals because what is better - an initial chemical input for long term productivity - or poor productivity over a long period using up a much larger percentage of resources?

we have not dealt with couch in this way yet - probably because we have been renting and have not had a complete invasion...reminds me of Jenny Allen's story in her book about being so in love with comfrey that she planted it through all her beds - and ended up with a similar problem.

on the whole the practice of system management, which is what permaculture is all about, is all about innovation and compromise...no system is perfect, so it is very difficult to impose high ideals on an imperfect system...

it is like howard odum'd energy analysis - you have to look at the full picture -

in the case of chemicals in gardens...

are chemicals detrimental to the environment - yes
    are chemicals in small, one off amounts as detrimental as the ongoing use of inorganic fertilisers and pest treatments used in unsustainable modern agricultural processes - no, not really.

so, is there a place for the use of chemicals in a permacultural system. in some cases the answer may be yes - because a one off use of chemicals may help obtain a greater yield, increase biodiveristy (in the long term) by removing an invasive and foregin/unwanted species, allowing the creation and better use of system edges...etc

permaculturalists have to becareful not to be too dogmatic. the whole philosophy is about flexibility, innovation and looking to governing principles to guide a breadth of systems practice.

it reminds me of when i went on a house tour at the holmgren residence and the look on the faces of most of the crowd when he told them his son shot a couple of ducks the other day for dinner with a friend. - some people looked like they had been decived. permaculture? advocating the killing of animals? worse? the use of guns!?!

anyway - bit of a speil. happy for engagement - maybe we start a new topic?

dan

16. Mont

Mont Junior Member

Probably the best known glyphosate herbicide is Roundup made by Monsanto. For anyone who's interested there's an article from an American source called 10 Reasons Not To Use Roundup which I can forward if requested - email me at [email protected]

I don't make any claims for or against the article, or Roundup for that matter, but it might add to your knowledge if you read it.

Mont

17. Guest

ah.

and so chemicals manufacturered by large multinationals - who are anything but permacultural!

i'm sure there are more then 10 good reasons not to use the stuff.

i'm sure an embodied energy analysis would be interesting - is nothing else

d.

18. Gardening Rob

The way I saw it, was that I'm like really, really old, and by the time I manually picked out every bit of couch from my 11 acres I would be like really, really dead. I spray the couch once with glysophate, (Which is NOT a hormone at all, but works by inhibiting the roots ability to take up water - the plant dies from lack of water.) then I manure, then mulch with straw. To get run-off to take the detergent which is in the glysophate to make the glysophate 'stick' on the plant, you need rain... Haven't had much of that here lately.

On the frog thing - noticed that it is not talked about much lately? That's because they discovered it wasn't the use or over-use of chemicals with detergent that was killing the poor little devils off, it was a fungus.
    https://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s929091.htm#transcript

Next you will be telling us that DDT is bad...
    https://www.junkscience.com/ Check out "The Malaria Clock"

Cheers
    Robyn

19. Snake

Snake Junior Member

Robyn,

I have finally managed to look into glyphosate (shouldn't go "shooting my keyboard off" beforehand really!) and found the following page. It seems that the issues with it are not that dramatic, if this is to be believed.
    Glyphosate

Cheers,

Mark :D

20. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi all,

Personally,(my opinon that is), I wouldnt believe all of the info provided by the chemical companies. One thing you need to remember when getting official info from Govt. resources like this is that these employees usually come from the private sector, and directly from the agrochemical companies. This is by no means meant to stir up a conspiracy theory but the US govt experts now tow the party line re: data or they are sacked! simple as that.

The latest Organic Gardener mag has run a short article stating the Danish govt ban on commercial use of Glysophate. I did some further searching and this seems correct. The damage done to the groundwater table is the direct cause in issuing the ban. So much for the micro-organisms breaking it down! You can do an easy search on 'Google.com'

Then again, this is directed at commercial use rather than domestic use. I have a problem with kikuyu, and other problem weeds, and did purchase some glysophate. It's been sitting in my shelf for 2 months now while i deliberate its use. While i see the short term benefit in getting rid of problematic weeds,ie. my back!, i now have 2 hatchlings of Green Tree Frogs now roaming my acerage. Does my short term gain by using this chemical outway the natural ecosystem that is trying to establish itself on my property? Isn't this what i am trying to achieve?!? At this stage the frogs are winning and my back is the loser.

I am thinking of other alternatives and the main thing that is keeping me going in persisting to weed by hand is what my Permaculture teacher said, "concentrate on one area at a time, the rest will still be there when you get round to it". A couple of things working that dont involve chemicals is the solarisation of grassed areas with old aluminum sheeting placed over an area for 2 months; and the other is mulching out the grass with grass! This is working quite well and the microbial activity is quite astonishing!

OK.... think this post is long enough now!

This seems to be quite a topic though.

Dave