New from Alabama, USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Privatestoc, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Privatestoc

Privatestoc New Member

Hello,
    My name is Pamela, I'm very interested in what I can learn about permaculture, I have the land (50 acres) just not the finances, I've started contacts with the companies that trim the trees into mulch, and have began a small garden. Would like to get a few customers doing the CSA program. Any ideas and thoughts would be greatly appriciated.
    The garden itself will be as organic as possible, however I'm finding that in order to be certified, the manure I use also has to be organic, which MOST is, however the feed I use is not. Thus the farm can not be certified. :-(
    I'm currently working on how to determin how many shares I can sell with what I'm looking at growing, which in turn will help to provide an income to help increase the size of the garden for next year.

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Pam, welcome to the PRI Forum. I realise your 'finances' are a bit tight, but have you considered taking a PDC?

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
  4. Sandman

Sandman Junior Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've never tried to produce food on a larger scale than the needs of our family, but my Dad has a 50 acre place and they raise veggies, fruit trees, chickens, goats, cattle, and horses. I've introduced them to permaculture and have them now doing hugelkultur, pulling a chicken tractor through their orchard, mulching rather than growing grass in the orchard, and preparing to stock the pond with catfish. So, I have a few thoughts about your situation that I'll share just in case it helps or stimulates other ideas.

Are there any CSA's in your area? You may want to visit them and even become a shareholder in one. Either way, you'll learn a lot about the business. There's a lifetime of things that could be done with 50 acres. You are undoubtedly a very capable person or you wouldn't be undertaking this project. I'm impressed. Still, if I were in your shoes, I might approach someone who's already running a CSA nearby and look into the possibility of creating a partnership, or at least a loose association. You have a large piece of land to offer and they have experience and expertise. Eventually, you could buy out their share and have it all to yourself after you have a better idea of what you want to do and where you're heading.

Do you have timber that could provide some startup money? If so, don't burn the tops - they are useful for hugelkultur and mulch. If you plan to grow fruit and nut trees, many of your existing trees will be valuable as shade trees for pawpaws or pineapple guavas (the latter if you're in south Alabama). Blackberries produce well in considerable shade. There are literally hundreds of questions one could ask about your situation, starting with what kind of soil do you have, how cold does it get, is there a market of shareholders in your area? Many folks may still be interested even if you are not technically certified as organic. You get about 50 inches of rainfall each year, which is good, but it doesn't fall evenly, so can you irrigate? Should you build swales to get the most out of the rainfall that you do receive? Will you incorporate livestock into your operation?

The details are endless. I hope you share your experiences and post questions. I, for one, would be more than happy to provide my two cents worth.

5. BRETT S DUNGAN

BRETT S DUNGAN New Member

Climate:
    Northern Coastal Gulf of Mexico
    Brett Dungan here-> retired shipbuilding executive living in coastal Alabama: Pamela-> there is a natural fertilizer provider in South Alabama https://www.mightygrow.com. are you familiar w/ use of organic waste stream from seafood processors? pls advise your location in Alabama.