At last we are finally getting our......

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ~Tullymoor~, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

2. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

WOW play happy music and send heaps of good vibes and that should cheer them up :D :D :D
    Pete

3. ~Tullymoor~

Ha bloody Ha!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Ah, so, Pete the bikie does fluff now huh?!
    Welcome to the Fratenity of Fluff, the Society of Stuff.....new members always welome. :D

4. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Ah Ducks nice creatures quite docil,things yummy Duck eggs big dark orange yolks,even yummy fried or boiled on toast.Do these lay blue eggs as they get older like some ducks......I bred cambells for 6 years untill i lost a lot to foxes one nite,gave the rest to my daughter,they still laying lots eggs,still being great sitting,rearing, mothers too.were also surprised to get double yolkers from ours this year....Now i only thought chooks did that,But ducks,
    well thats a first.

Chooks and Ducks never fail to surprise me. nothing they do surprises me any more..

Tezza........

5. ~Tullymoor~

Don't know about the blue egg thing Tezza.....I'll find out soon enough though :D I hope they are very broody and hatch hundreds of babies, I can't wait! We're trying to rustle up a clam shell kids pool or similar now for them. Or, maybe I'll use an old bath and make a ramp...then I can attach a hose to the plughole and drain the water off onto the fruit trees :D
    Next installment...GEESE!

6. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tezza

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Interesting looking ducks Tully.... I'm struggling to work out the difference between the blues the black the silvers and the splash, they look very similar to me... . :?

Do you know if they make much noise?

That was half the reason I had muscovies, because they didn't quack...

8. forest

forest Junior Member

They are beautiful birds. I've never senn them before. I hope you have many great duck hours.

9. verrall

verrall Junior Member

Howdy all,

I am looking at getting some ducks.

I have 4 chickens at the moment, that we raised from eggs (2 roosters- 2 hens). We have to get rid of the roosters because of local by-laws, can't eat them as they are kids pets.

Ducks are good for eating snails and other nasty pests in the garden, but they do not scratch like chooks do (so I am told).

I have a huge chook pen, can the ducks and chooks (2) live together?
    Do ducks need any special accomodation?
    Do they need some water to play/swim in?

Thanks in advance.

10. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Oh Tully - they are beautiful! All silvery and so soft looking - they reminded me of my mother's old Russian Blue (very pampered) cat.

:D
    Fran.

11. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Verrall,

Ducks and chooks can live together without problems, but in a small space you have to watch out because ducks can tend to dirty the drinking water and chooks don't like dirty water.. Well, this was what I had read before, but then I saw my chooks a couple of days ago drink some foul water, even though they had fresh water near by...

Ducks also tend to muddy the ground up... but if your pen is large enough and you have a couple of watering points this won't be a problem... Watch out if you get a male duck, he probably won't be able to tell the difference between chooks and ducks and he'll work either.

They don't need water to swim and/or play in, but when you see how much they love the water, and how happy they are to play in it, you might end up putting something in there for them.... I used cheap plastic tubs I bought at the hardware store, my male muscovy could only just fit in it, but boy did he love to sit in it and have a wash...

Joel

12. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Hi Verrall......Ducks get on great with chooks.But have to watch out for excited males(roosters or drakes)Ducks dont scratch like chooks,rather they just put there bills and root around with there beeks looking for ,bugs worms etc in ground.Ducks dont require fancy housing as they hate being locked up at nite, and they say on lighter nites there up and about whilst its light still.Ducks dont need a pond or body of water to survive,its just nice to see them in water.though some heavy breeds require the water to soften the impact of rough 4play less acts..Heavy breeds,like muscovys and geese may need water to enable the "act" to be performed correctly without too many broken legs.Ducks sharing the water can look messy and dirty.Im afraid that, to some people a bit of dirty water means forever cleaning,changing water,this can be very time consuming as well as wasting alot of water, unless using it to water/feed other things.I learnt very early on that ducks can mess up clean water in an instant,just by ducks drinking ,they rinse their mouths,neck clean of food stuffs.chooks dont seam to worry bout dirty water as much as us humans,and do share crappy water together.If u want sparkling clean water for your ducks to play in.Give up, i sugest you.get used to dirty water...
    ACtually i dont think chooks care what there water is like sometimes, maybe they dont have taste buds like us :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next ..Do you want Ducks for eggs o meat,or just pretty things in a pond...
    The cambells are the egg layers as many as a great chook in a year.
    indian runners. eggs but not as prolific as cambells..
    muscovy..meat bird.they only lay to breed.2 times per year maybe 3..
    Pekins ..here in west,are becoming a duel purpose bird meat and eggs.If muscovys mate with say cambells they do have offspring but there called mules..(no not Bali drug carriers)they are unable to make babies,and wil just just die out....I beleive that Pekins can lay nearly as many as a cambell,..
    Ive been told by most duck fanciers that,all ducks are useless in a non skiled back garden state, will never do this,that or most other things,
    Thats CRap,Ducks make excellent mothers,andthe males arnt as aggressive as roosters,

In short Ducks are great, better then chooks overall.but in a dry hot climate like Oz,other things need to be considered,they handle the heat well,and cold.
    The small breed ducks are Insecters,they eat bugs,snails etc.
    Larger breeds..muscovy are vegetation eaters as are geese.,eating mainly grasses etc,and insects......

Ya just gotta figure out what you want them for.....

Remember..If ya hate dirty water forget em....i know people who buy Ducks then complain, their forever cleaning their water.ha ha ha..

Any more Advice just ask ...

Tezza

13. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

mmmmmmmmm how did you know that :D
    I thought I kept that out of this forum...
    oh well thats life
    Pete

14. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Tully,

What beautiful ducks! How lucky your are!

I've never seen these before so can't wait to see photos of yours when you get 'em.

Tam