Would a moat keep off snakes?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by areba, Jun 12, 2015.

1. areba

areba Junior Member

Software Engineer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Tropical. -2 deg south on the 39th.
    We live in their habitat, we want them there because of the great stuff they do. Most of them are harmless tropical snakes, but the other occupants of my house just wont come to the farm because of them. So I have been wondering.....

There is this lake I am almost digging out, Would an Island keep off snakes? (Ill deal with crocs that get pumped into the system as eggs or tadpoles or whatever they are at that tender age and then mature and grow into apex predators in the lake later). If my house is surrounded by water, would it help?

Has anyone tried this? would it keep the green mambas, the black mambas and the african Rock pythons. (Ive seen a 12 foot long one swallowing a dikdik).

2. drendrewolf

drendrewolf Junior Member

Without knowing more about the kinds of snakes you're dealing with I couldn't say. I do know that where I live all a mote would do is keep the harmless ones out, but the venomous ones can swim, so it wouldn't be a good idea for me. Look into each kind of snake you have around there and find out which ones can swim and which ones can't.

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

ALL snakes swim.

With that said, I would personally try to encourage mongooses, snake eagles, and genets; Hornbills and other snakes tend to prey on juvenile green mambas to keep the green ones away.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tejas

Tejas Junior Member

I agree with what has been said. Water will not stop snakes from the North American continent. I don't have personal experience with Africa; however, I would be very surprised if they can not cross water. I was born on an Island surrounded by salt water. We had rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes, and water moccasins - all very poisonous - that could be seen swimming when they wanted to, salt water or fresh. On top of that; water's edge is the habitat a lot of their food source inhabits. They are comfortable in that environment.

I would add geese to that list of predators to keep the population in check.

5. mullerjannie

mullerjannie Junior Member

I'm no scientist but we would often spot pythons close to an in shallow water of the river in the "bushveld" in South Africa.
    Blackmambas are also common along the river. The mambas also like warmth so I'm not sure if they would be keen to stay in your house, they are more likely to be on your patio to absorb the heat during cold nights.

I'd make sure I have plenty of rocky outcroppings AWAY from the house! rather than the effort of a moat. Insect screens and a self closing front door using a spring etc. would help keep snakes out more so than a moat. Having a moat would be pretty cool though but I suspect that lifting and dropping the draw bridge going in and out of zone 1 for herbs etc. might become a hassle.

1 person likes this.
  6. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

No all snakes are fantastic swimmers, you need fox terriers which can be trained to kill snakes, and guinea fowl warn of snakes present.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aaron2

Aaron2 New Member

Snakes down as much grass, brush and thickets as far out from your cabin as possible. Do the same around the creek. If you have lots of rocks piled up around there, wait until a cold winter day and remove as many as possible. If getting rid of these things doesn't help keep snakes away from there, you will at least be able to see them better further away rather than right before you are going to step on one.