worm farming

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by groen, Jun 11, 2015.

1. groen

groen Junior Member

Hello guys!
    I want to start a new worm farm with Red Wigglers, Eisenia fetida.
    I live in northern Italy (tuscany). Is it ok to harvest the worms from my own compost heap, or do I have to buy them? Are they the same worms?
    :think:
    Thanx, Groen

2. PermaChelsea

PermaChelsea New Member

Good question. We were actually just talking about worms and vermacomposting before my husband left for work. I will ask him later if he knows the answer to this. Good luck finding out!

3. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

The worms in your compost heap will probably be ok to use.

Earthworms are large and slow, compost worms are usually smaller and faster. Earthworms generally won't like living in a worm farm, compost worms love it.

Can you post a photo of the worms in your compost heap? Someone might be able to identify if they are Eisenia fetida.

It might be easier to get the number of worms you need from another worm farm though.

Cheers
    Nick

4. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i'd say go for it as if you have worms in the compost heap they will likely do just fine. it may take a while to get a large population going so the more you can get from the compost heap the better.

5. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

True earthworms go deeper into the soil than composting worms which work the top 300/400mm. Eisenia fetida have a blunt rounded tail and an orange tip. Colour can vary from pinkish to deep maroon. Yes a clear close up photo would help of 1 worm