Wet pots

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by ant1, Nov 18, 2008.

1. ant1

ant1 Junior Member

Hi Guys,

Anybody had experience with these in garden beds (ie not pots)? I think this is what they are called, but they are the terracotta balls that release water slowly into the ground.

The question I really wanted answered would be this:
    - Are they really that much better than a drip system?

Other questions I had would be:
    - what spacing is required? I assume they don't spread out the water all that well.
    - are they REALLY automatic? I'd probably have a valve on the source tank that I'd use anyway.
    - are they easy to create home made versions?

Thanks for the time folks.

2. derekh

derekh Junior Member

Re: Wet pots

I had a couple in the ground connected to a 20litre drum to help establish a Lilly Pilly. Their water consumption was acceptable, 20l would last over a week. What I did find was roots surrounding the Wet Pots. I think this creates a water dependent plant not one that is hardy and can handle drought conditions.

Admittedly, I only used two. Their cost has blown out and they are not a cheap alternative to leaky hoses etc but I still like the idea.

cheers
    Derek

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day ant1,

the system is based on an idea gardeners in india use, they use larger pts with narrow necks say about 10 litre size or maybe down to 5 not sure? the pots need to be unglazed, their process then is to place pots at appropriate distance into the garden beds (usually down the middle) with just the neck and top visible, all they do then is top up the pots as they need them. this way they better manage water as there is little or no evaporation with mulching. they have a routine of planting the more water thirsty plants nearer the pots. they cover the opening with a stone or whatever to keep critters out mostly.

wet pots have been around for a while, they where never inexpensive, their size might suggest you will need a few to do a garden, go to their web site they may indicate that?

for me hand watering around each plant is the most efficient and with lots of mulch that is kept to a couple of times a week even through summer, plus we use our second hand water in our gardens and wet pots would clog up real quick using recycled water.

len

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

The clay pot method is said to be more efficient water-wise, but it may not be time/energy-wise.

It's been used for over two thousand years, but I can't imagine that they had a lot of options back in those days. From what I've read, the pot is the center, and the seeds or plants circle the pot.

Here is one article, where it says "Make 530 pits per hectare (210 pits per acre), each pit 70 cm (24 inches) across and 12 cm (5 inches) deep. To each pit add 18 kilograms (38 lbs) of manure. Mix the manure well with an equal amount of earth... Bury an earthen jar of 6 liters (1.5 gallons) capacity in the center of the pit. Let its mouth be level with the ground. Fill the jar with water. Plant 4 melon seeds around the jar. Cover the jar with a tile. Always fill jar to the brink if the water level falls."
    For more, see https://www.ecocomposite.org/restoration/claypot.htm

I tried the method in a 1.5m circular raised bed last summer, but the pots I used were too small (maybe a litre each), and I only had three. IF I had kept them filled better, and IF they had been larger, it probably would have worked quite well. With my erratic job hours, this didn't happen. I didn't mulch the bed because I wanted to see what was going on with the soil moisture.

No one using this method has mentioned mulch. I think that larger pots (4 l or larger), appropriately spaced, AND with the areas between the growing plants mulched, it would be an extremely viable way to water plants, especially when water restrictions are in effect.

There also appears to be a book on the subject: A Guide for Desert and Dryland Restoration: New Hope for Arid Lands by David A. Bainbridge. He also has other books on solar and sustainable subjects.

Sue

5. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

Sue, thanks for mentioning that David A. Bainbridge book !

6. Gary Winnick

Gary Winnick Junior Member

Yeah I agreed drip system is better and spacing is not necessary to measure. The space good any which you have available.