Strawberries from runners???

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by lovingmygarden, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Hi everyone.
    I was asked today about growing strawberries from runners and I have no idea how do to it properly, soI though I would put the question out to you all and see what comes of it.
    Also when do the runners start growing (after fruiting???).
    Appreciate all advice greatly.
    Thanks in advance
    lovingmygarden

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Strawberries from runners???

g'day lmg,

yup common way fo getting strawb's growing. make sure when you stick the root ball in the ground you don't cover the crown or heart the plant will rot away before it grows. for us down here in brissy way the best time of year is around may/june to plant them for next season fruit.

but no harm in sticking them in now, when they grow they will fruit sooner or later.

len

3. lovingmygarden

Thanks heaps for that Len :D

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

That reminds me, I am after some"Ichigo" Strawberries, grown in Tassie. the nicest tasting, worse-looking strawberry. They look green un-ripe and un-inviting but are delicious. They wre growing them in Tassie but i think because of their look they were un-commercial. they grow easily from runners.
    With a name like that Ichigo which means strawberry in Japanese, you would think they were Japanese, but i suspect another Oz marketing failure. I can't imagine the Japanese eating anything that did not look like their fantasy perception of what a strawberry should look like. (Red and as big as an apple)
    However i did find this refernce in The Japan Times Online

https://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 217li.html
    The image is not the 'wild' strawberry i know, it is more like the clumping alpine strawberries. Great tasting, the best for strawberry pots very sweet and tasty, but very small, so i rarely get enough from the garden into the kitchen. There is a yellow/green variety that the kids and birds sometimes leave alone as they think they are not ripe. :evil:
    My kids used to eat a prolific ground-cover runner- one that tasted like woody-fence palings. :!:
    The non-running alpine stawberry grows from expensive seed. I grew some this year but lost a lot when I transplanted them. I had this fantasy of having enough Alpine Strawberries to share. :rolleyes: :bear:

More on runners
    https://www.gardenhive.com/fruit/strawbe ... w/runners/

5. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

I have in the past placed runers in a glass of water to get the roots going prior to plating out.

Find a glass or bottle so the runner is a delicate but snug fit in the glass. Take the runner out and put about 2 cm water in the glass. then replace the runner so the bottom of the plant is JUST touching the water. When you see roots developing you can plant it out.

I do this to avoid burying any of the plant itself which as Len said above, can kill the plant.

6. lovingmygarden

Thanks milifestyle,
    I`ll let my friend know. I actually never have had any luck with strawberries, although my 8 year old daughter grew the most lovely juicy strawberries when we lived out west.