Splitting Citus Fruit?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Dani, May 16, 2006.

1. Dani

Dani Junior Member

Hi All, Does anyone know the cause of splitting citrus fruit. The fruit is still on the tree.

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Dani,

TOO MUCH!........ splitting is caused by weight of foliage & fruit caused by too much nitrogen, too much water and too many fruit. I am supposing this is an orange tree.

If it is a valencia - pick the rest of the fruit now, they should be ripe. If it is a navel put some supports under the branches to hold the weight until the fruit can be removed.

The tree will need a repair done on the affected area, it will have to be bound [without ringbarking it] and probably a few offending branches taken off or at least shortened by 2/3 to a top bud.

Get a second opinion on this or post some photos here.

Just a question but has a large tree been removed from nearby?

floot

3. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Ive Heard that Its not a case of too much or too little watering its Consistency that matters.Too much nitrogen could be the problem, but i dont think is a significant one,I run chooks under my navel and mandarin trees, and my splitting year was just bad watering on my behalf....

Terence

4. Dani

Dani Junior Member

it's the actual fruit that is splitting, not the tree

5. clonte

clonte Junior Member

hi again Dani

Actually just today on the abc radio from a horticulturst, i heard about splitting citrus and it seems to be consistency of watering, so keep the watering up and try not to have the soil dry out too much and then overwater.. get my drift.. funny how when you hear about a subject once, it seems to pop up again quickly..

clonte :idea:

6. clonte

clonte Junior Member

silly me, waxing lyrical,

you need to control the watering for next growing season, and in the meantime pick off all the split fruit and discard.

clonte :oops:

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Yep, definately uneven watering..... My navels were shocking splitters last year when I was watering lots, then not at all, but this year they're fantastic...