Selling-out to the “Free-Market”. A new direction for Permaculture?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by PeterFD, Jun 27, 2010.

1. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

One of the most memorable periods of the inevitable consequences of greed driven/no-ethics free-markets came in the 1930’s. I’m sure that I don’t have to paint any pictures, and yes, this is definitely a pre-bio time.

However, out of this disaster was born not only the “mixed economies” pioneered by Maynard Keynes, but also regulation, standards and ETHICS. Never again, at least within most of the western world, would human beings be regarded as “economic units” whose value could be evaluated on a balance sheet.

It’s interesting to note that the principle means of getting economies out of recession was to employ large numbers of workers on major projects of “Public Works”. Their wages would then permeate up through the economy to stimulate recovery ………. this “bottom-up” approach ring any bells with other permaculturists?

The right to healthcare, education, social welfare, etc., based on need and not ability to pay (PEOPLE CARE AND ETHICS) was born.

That is………..until we arrive in the early 1970’s. At this point, the advocates of pure “Free-Market” economics, (lead by Milton Friedman), aimed a major onslaught of criticism at Keynesian economic policy. This new breed of economic policy was based upon privatisation, deregulation and severe cuts to social spending. For many this became the Creed of Greed. (REMOVE PEOPLE CARE AND ETHICS)

To cut a long story short, no politician, on this side of sanity, could expect to win a democratic election based upon such a socially destructive set of policies. The only solution? REMOVE DEMOCRACY.

One of the first opportunities appears to have arrived during the military coup in Chile on 11 September 1973. The coup, lead by Commander in Chief of all the armed forces, General Pinochet, lasted 4 days, left over 3000 dead, 80 000 imprisoned, and about a quarter of a million refugees pouring across Chile’s boarders. With the last remnants of democracy removed, the way was clear for the introduction of THE FREE MARKET.

Within the ten year period that followed, the failing policies of the Free-Market, ever more intensely applied to try and prove there validity, resulted in mass poverty, unemployment and massive debt. In 1982, Chile’s economy crashed, debt exploded to 14 billion dollars, unemployment hit 30 percent and hyperinflation reigned. However, Chile was saved from complete economic collapse by the simple fact that the countries copper mines, nationalised by the last pre-coup democratically elected government, had never been placed within the hands of the Free-Market. They were Keynesian, labour intensive, regulated …………

The story is repeated hundreds, if not thousands of times as world economies have been seduced by the illusion that deregulated Free-Markets will bring wealth and benefits to all who adhere strictly to the core principles.

Democratic countries have also been seduced, Britain under Thatcher (riding on the back of the Falklands war), America under Bush (riding on the back of 9/11). The newly “democratised” ex-communist countries have been forced to open their economies to the Free-Market principles of Milton Friedman in order to secure essential loans from the World Bank/International monetary fund.

Perhaps one of the cruellest legacies of Free-Market economics exists within South Africa. As Nelson Mandela was waving to the cameras, and signing copies of “Long walk to Freedom” (still got mine on the shelf), in the back-room, the newly elected majority democratic government was being forced to continue paying the huge debts run-up by its former white minority oppressors, abandon its already declared Keynesian policies in favour of the Free-Market …….. in return for the continued support from the World Bank/International Monetary Fund.

However,……….the Free-Market! That’ll soon get things moving! Well, after the first 10 years of Free-Market democracy in South Africa the number of people living on 1$ per day had doubled from 2 million to 4 million; the number of unemployed black South Africans had more than doubled from 23 percent to 48 percent. The impressive list of achievements is endless.

And where has all this Free-Market seduction got the rest of us? ……… a global economic collapse on an unprecedented scale resulting in trillions of dollars being lost.

And how have we survived?

“…….the global financial crisis …….. has caused a resurgence in Keynesian thought. Keynesian economics has provided the theoretical underpinning for the plans of President Barack Obama of the United States, former Prime Minister Gordon Brown of the United Kingdom, and other global leaders to ease the economic recession.”

It’s somewhat ironic that one of Milton Friedmans last quotes in The Wall Street Journal in 2006 was ……. I don’t think I was ever regarded as “evil.”

So now we arrive in the twenty first century on the back of the worst economic recession the world has ever seen and heading straight down into a global ecological disaster.

I don’t know how many people noticed the recent interview with James Lovelock, (the independent scientist who developed the Gaia Hypothesis). Commenting on Global warming, he concluded that “one of the main obstructions to meaningful action is ‘modern democracy’", he added. "Even the best democracies agree that when a major war approaches, democracy must be put on hold for the time being. I have a feeling that climate change may be an issue as severe as a war. It may be necessary to put democracy on hold for a while." It’s a relief to know that the “good guys” are back in town ………. anyone getting a feeling of deja vue? ……. Chile .. 11 September 1973, SUSPENSION OF DEMOCRACY,……… FREE-MARKET.

Handing PDC to free market; Geoff Lawton explaining the essential need to use the experience of these Free-Market “Successful” businessmen.

The next generation of young people will ask why. Will the PRI be able to say that we maintained standards and did everything we could, or will we be looking at a sad faded photograph of the last PRI meeting set against a desolate background of ecological collapse and mass graves.

We can point the finger at those whose greed has brought humanity to this point. Perhaps Permaculture is not THE answer, but it’s AN answer. That being the case, all who understand have a responsibility to ensure that the principles of permaculture are maintained in order to ensure that the greatest good can be achieved.

When future generations look back they will see the perpetrators, but they may also see those who knew better but who failed to achieve what could be achieved ………. and who then will be the greater criminal? …….. perhaps its just a question of ethics???

On 3rd April 2010 we received the news from Geoff and Nadia Lawton QUOTE “Hi All, we are now working on a new system through our institute the Permaculture Research Institute and we will be up and running very soon, things are now moving” ENDQUOTE.

Well Geoff and Nadia, it’s now the 28th June 2010. Any news yet?

Perhaps a fitting epitaph taken from an interview with James Lovelock in The Guardian Newspaper – London – Tuesday 30th March 2010. "I don't think we're yet evolved to the point where we're clever enough to handle a complex a situation as climate change," said Lovelock ….. "The inertia of humans is so huge that you can't really do anything meaningful."
    :shake::shake:

2. Nick Huggins GC Qld

Nick Huggins GC Qld Junior Member

Perfect timing Peter for such a topic. I'm currently writing a Podcast for PRI Permaculture Business World. And I would like to interview you for the post cast to share your view. Would you be interested? Please email me at [email protected]

3. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Nick

I would be delighted to help in anyway I can.

I’ve never done a post cast before so you would need to fill me in on some detail. Is it by telephone (I live in the South of France), written question answer (probably simpler) etc?

Many thanks for this wonderful opportunity!!!

PeterFD

4. Adam

Adam Junior Member

PeterFD, this thread is very interesting to me because I think you have highlighted one of the major challenges of permaculture. I completely agree that the "free market" has caused more harm than good. Neo-liberal economic theory has done a great deal of damage to the world and will continue to do so for quite some time until the powers that be wake up and realize this. So I think it's a justifiable concern to think that a free market approach will jeopardize permaculture in some way.

On the other hand, I think there has always been some uneasiness with the economic side of permaculture. Although permaculture seems to do a great job in social and environmental sustainability, it seems to come up short where economic sustainability is concerned. I think the fact that permaculture "jobs" are practically non-existent is strong evidence of this. The fact is, it's just not easy to make any money doing permaculture. For the small minority of permaculturists who are able to make a decent living off of permaculture, they are able to do so through teaching PDCs and permaculture consulting. If the only people who can make money in permaculture are making it by teaching and consulting, then that basically makes permaculture nothing more than a feel-good pyramid scheme. (I can imagine I will take a lot of flak for that statement, but so be it. :p)

So I think the desire to make permaculture more economically competitive is very understandable. In fact, I think it is essential. I think that's what Geoff Lawton might be getting at. His choice of words may have been poor in using the term "free market" (because it isn't necessary to use free market mechanisms to accomplish this), but I think he is on the right track here. For permaculture to gain mainstream acceptance, we have to be able to show that permaculture systems are economically productive, too. If we can't do that then farmers all over the world will continue to spurn permaculture in favor of pesticides, fossil fuels, and synthetic fertilizers and the world will continue its downward spiral into ecological catastrophe.

5. Nick Huggins GC Qld

Nick Huggins GC Qld Junior Member

If you can email me with your contact details. that would be great. The interview would be over VOIP Skype. Easy to install if you have not got it already!

6. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Shouldn't that be the desire to make Permaculture more economically 'cooperative' as opposed to competitive. In my opinion the unfortunately well-worn Permaculture complaint of 'saturated markets' for courses and other work has never washed with me and only serves to keep Permaculture as a 'marginal methodology as opposed to a unconscious practice'.

Ciao for now,

Darren Doherty
    permaculture.biz (not .org!)

7. Melparis

Melparis New Member

Purpose?

Hey all,

I believe Permaculture is NOT supposed to make us rich financially,it is a way of life that can sustain us without having to go to a 9 to 5,without having to buy expansive genetically modified food,without having to pay for a 30 year mortgage,without having to trash the earth with every breath we take.
    Therefore if teaching is the only way to make money off of it that is a good thing because otherwise it could be perverted into a money making machine,although I have to say that paying 1500 to 2000 dollars for a two week course seems to be a bit steep for most people to be able to join in the dance,hopefully some free courses will flourish someday! For now the cheapest option I have found is online courses with permaculture visions.

Peace,
    M

8. grog

grog Junior Member

Darren,
    I could not agree more. Cooperation between permies is essential to "build the market" so we dont get caught competing with one another to spread the word.
    These are just the questions we are grappling with at the Financial Permaculture Course.
    How do we create a stable economic base for permaculture to grow without selling out or getting caught in the race to the bottom?

We find that solid business know how and tightly networked business ecologies create a foundation to raise awareness, get real large scale work done, and take thigns to the next level.

multi-local!

onward

Gregory Landua
    Permaculture Designer since yesterday morning (j/k)

9. PeterFD

PeterFD Junior Member

Hi Darren

I hope you weren’t really intimidated by grogs’s latest posting? After all, he does seem to have a lot of links to the banking system and a politician to boot!!

I have heard that some of the more ruthless financial institutions are not beyond hiring a hit-man or two? Perhaps better to keep a low profile for a while?

Currently I live within a Northern Europe temperate zone at about 500 metres, (about 1,500 feet.) So if James Lovelock is correct I can always find a place for you here, Bill Mollison as well. I’m not to sure about Geof Lawton, but if you say he’s OK, then bring him along with his family. I’m sure a mixture of owned/rented Alpine terrain totalling about 35 hectares will keep us all.

Stay cool.

Peter

10. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Thanks for the notes....I have worked and lived in Latin America and war zones so intimidation isn't felt within the confines of this forum...Aside's I couldn't see any intimidatory language or suggestions within my mate and colleague in Greg Landau's note or associated stuff....I get greater concern from working in these places and undermining the local fertiliser people or companies as right now they have the greatest threat from any of our activities...

As for keeping a low profile: this is not the first time this has been suggested. One of our strategies with being so open source is that just like of any species other than modern humans: cache as much as you can as widely as possible such that even in the event something should happen to the source the material (be it any form of data: presentations, photos, video, docs, seed, biota!) then it is spread wide and far like a runaway virus....

We are pretty well set up where we are....we have had very dry years and our family farm is now 70% there as far as water is concerned: being the primary objective and previously the weakest link. Now that we have strengthened this with earthworks (landform being the second order on the Keyline Scale of Permanence) we are ready to concentrate on the next weakest link: debt....that being over then we will be ready for the next: buildings and trees, trees and more trees plus livestock systems....Combo of Holistic Management decision making around our family's Holistic Goal & Top 10 Outcomes (see below) and Yeomans Keyline development orders, Permaculture integrationalism and away we go.....

All the best and enjoy the south of France: lovely, lovely but not Australia!

Darren

HolisticGoal® or 'Top 10' Outcomes as listed below:

AUSTRALIA FELIX PERMACULTURE HOLISTICGOAL®:
    ‘...To maintain creative, intergenerational family & community lives built around regenerative & profitable production, management &
    educational systems...’

AUSTRALIA FELIX PERMACULTURE ‘ TOP 10' OUTCOMES :
    1. Produce stable environments with evolving watersheds
    2. Restore profitability via integrated & regenerative agricultural development & management
    3. Increase wildlife species, numbers within species & stability of populations
    4. Improve water, soil & vegetation resources of cities, industry & agriculture
    5. Re-establish & regenerate riverine & riparian areas
    6. Prevent waste of financial, human & natural resources
    7. Entrench Holistic Management® Decision Making Frameworks & Permaculture Design Ethics & Principles within the education system, communities & organisations
    8. Develop viable decentralised energy production systems
    9. Restore local, regional & global mineral & water cycles
    10. Provide value to our collaborators, course participants, clients & community

11. foggyforge

foggyforge Junior Member

Thank you for spreading the seed far and wide Darren.I feel i have benefited greatly from the resources you made available on your web page.
    Confirming Permaculture design is a worthwhile exercise.I never had any doubt about it .From the first time i heard Bill M talk about it all those years ago.Was just a "New Australian" then.The memory of all the unnecessary and destructive practices in our subsistence farming life in Yugoslavia still fresh in my mind.Only here in the 1/3rd world are people blind to reality.I feel we need to do more here than anywhere else .
    Enjoyed listening to your talks on https://www.sustainableworldradio.com/ I'm sure you now have more people coming to your courses than ever before.

Kind Regard's, Béla

12. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day Foggy,

Very kind words and I have to achieve my ambition of doing some serious time on some eastern European farms.

Good news today that we signed up our 100th person on the upcoming RegenAG workshops held here in Victoria with still a month to go for the 1st of these...the other states (NSW, QLD & TAS) are also coming along which is great....

Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World Radio is a good friend of ours. Her partner Kevin is a PDC graduate of ours (Quail Springs 2007) too and we are looking forward to her (and another mate Logan Nevitt) upcoming Carbon Economy video...

All the best and thanks for being a party to the data sharing....

Darren