Recipe.... Oh why, oh why??

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by ho-hum, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I am cooking oxtail soup/stew sans recipe of course!

Given half a chance I always check the Net for any good tweaks and hints. I have so often silently screamed when I find a recipes for something like 'GRANDMA'S AUTHENTIC CHICKEN SOUP of UNCLE BOB'S CAMPFIRE BEANS'. Generally these types of recipes include '4 1lb tins of GRANDMA'S AUTHENTIC CHICKEN SOUP RECIPE'... You get the picture. Many of the authentic recipes I find on the Net, particularly emanating out of the USA innocently put multiple canned ingredients in them as base items. I have no issue with this.

More and more I am seeing Aussie recipes with the same thing. Aussie recipes on the internet are prolific and generally excellent and from what I can assess very much the genuine article.

Here is a classic that has shrieks of being a poor conversion. I will highlight a recipe for Oxtail Soup but it is in no way a shot at Americans, it is certainly a whinge at silly Australians that may suffer some sort of cultural cringe.

Here goes...

I am intrigued [not at imperial v metric measurements etc but the mention of 1 package of oxtail soup mix and a broiler pan.] Why would this be considered appropriate on an 'aussie' site. Interestingly, I tried to locate a source for 'packaged oxtail soup' mix in Australia and cannot locate it. Why not just copy an american recipe and kindly acknowledge the author.

I think it is about time that internet plagiarists were exposed for the losers they are. I, myself, have seen incidents of thoughtfully considered and shared opinions and experiences lifted from this forum and become 'news', replete with 'local experience' used in other forums, sites and magazines.

I am not sure we should condone it but may be it is about time we started to highlight it. Certainly, I see time and again on this great forum that 'borrowed ideas and writings' have the authors and sites acknowledged. Maintain the integrity.

cheers,

ho-hum

2. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Re: Recipe.... Oh why, oh why??

G'day ho-hum

Concerning plagiarism:

Personally, I could never bring myself to use another's work and not cite. It was always drummed into me from infancy: "Give credit where credit is due".

Most universities (including La Trobe) have adopted the use 'online plagiarism prevention' systems. So my old habit of careful citation gets a real workout these days. I usually use Harvard, or APA with my academic papers. On here I just throw any old thing together, but always enough to acknowledge the primary source.

As for my own work, in true anarchist tradition, it's open. Of course it would be nice to think that if people should chose to lift it that they would at least give me (and anyones work I cite in it) the courtesy of not !@#king up the context, but even that is probably expecting too much.

How did the oxtail go?

Got a mate at uni who complains that she has a grass problem and needs to borrow my brushcutter. We are both time poor, so I tell her she has got a lack of sheep problem. Edible lawn mowers, mmmm, Rogan Josh....

Cheerio, Mark.

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Concerning recipes -

What gets my dander up is the assumption that real food comes from the supermarket, generally in a tin or the freezer.

I've been looking for broad bean recipes - had a good crop this year and I haven't used it in cooking before. They ALL started with - Thaw, then peel.

Duh! I'm hoping that Santa brings me a copy of Stephanie Alexanders Kitchen Garden book this year. I'm sure her recipes don't start with "thaw your broad beans, then peel them".

My best success with cooking them so far has been the simplest - finely chopped onion and dill, fresh (not frozen or even peeled, just removed from the pods) broad beans, all fried up in a little olive oil and served sprinkled over sausages. The 14 year old boy in my life presented me with an empty, licked plate in return!

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Not much you can do when you are plagarised
    A local author continually plagiarised me.
    (Why do we have a USA spell checK that wants to put 'Zees' into everything!)
    The final straw came when he copied, word-for word several pages of mine in to one of his very numerous books.
    I sent a letter to the publishers and a copy of my (home published work)-- who were shocked and said they had had numerous other complaints.
    Now he has changed publishers and was recently honored in the Queens Birthday Awards --much to my disgust.

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

R U prepared to name names so we can boycott the individual concerned?

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

MMmmm. . . cranky enough to do it; I will think about it thanks. I think I would offend too many as he is a revered leader in the local eco-trendy movement and I am a no-body.

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

The oxtail soup/stew was wonderful.

I have only once ever had an issue citing anyone. I was doing the matriculation english exam, the one shot in the locker style as used in Victoria up to 1980, and was struggling for a quote so I quoted a 'learned scholar once said' and at the bottom of the page was Op Cit - Ho-hum, 1978. It came back to me from the examiners it gave them a chuckle and my English teacher contacted me and pointed out that Learned Scholars were generally about 70 years of age NOT 18... :p

Just as an aside I always liked the thought of being able to quote other people as I always fancied it made me look that bit more intelligent and I need all the help I can get.

Cheers,