Permies are Hackers

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by sunnyslopes, Aug 8, 2008.

1. sunnyslopes

sunnyslopes Junior Member

Go and watch the video THE HISTORY OF HACKING documentary and you will see the parallel between the Pc movement and hacking. Hacking and Pc "tread across the disciplines" Hacking and Pc don't obey the rules of convention or organic ag. except where it benefits the purpose of the system design with ecological and eventually economic benefits. Hackers and Permies are totally fascinated with each "black box" that we call an organism, whether it's myceleum or marsupial. And getting these organisms to "talk" to each other for me is the real juice. I hope this makes a great topic of discussion. It sure blew me away when I saw the connection between hacking and Pc. I hope you will find this an empowering thought and go out and do some Pc hacking. Find a new guild, new technique, method or strategy.

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Re: Permies are Hackers

:D

https://www.google.com.au/search?cl...'subversive'&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

...and Holmgren

Source: Permaculture and the Third Wave of Environmental Solutions by David Holmgren (Based on a series of public lectures around Australia following launches of his book Permaculture:principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability)

Available at: https://www.holmgren.com.au/DLFiles/PDFs ... avePub.pdf

4. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

5. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Well, when it comes to e-voting I reckon our Australian system beats the world - and it is SO simple. You put your choice in privacy on a piece of paper, you deposit it in a secure box, and it gets counted while scrutineers from relevant polical parties watch on. The count is them phoned in to the authorities, and the votes bundled, sealed and given to the electoral commission.

This is so simple, old fashioned and almost foolproof that I must admit, it IS decidedly subversive. Important organisations/companies can't muck around with it, and votes can't be bought because you can promise to vote one way,and actually vote another way. The power really IS with the people. No wonder they invented e-voting in the US. You can't have the great unwashed getting their own way, can you?

It's a bit like organic gardening really - all those big important organisations can't muck around with you because you don't need them. You happily produce your food and medicines all by yourself. Only today I gave some aloe vera leaves to my son for a skin irritation, made chamomile tea for my husband's insomnia, and made mint tea for my digestion. Every meal we ate contained something from the garden, not from a shop. All that profit prevented - how utterly subversive!

6. Ojo

Ojo Junior Member

7. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

'Well, when it comes to e-voting I reckon our Australian system beats the world - and it is SO simple.'

People who want to manipulate things (like voting) don't like 'simple'. Simple tends to be more difficult to get around. Which I suppose explains all the complications of modern life.

Sue

8. aslanded

aslanded Junior Member

Perfect. You guys always have a way of crystallizing and then expanding the ideas I have, which I could easily dismiss. Being self reliant is subversive, as is any form of tribal existence, self sufficient communities and basically any existence which bypasses the opportunity for a governing body to take a percentage of your achievements in the form of tax. The trick is to get to a point where they have no legal means of persecuting you and dragging you back in line. Ownership of your land is a good starting point, as is reducing all those energy dependencies. Then start helping each other out.

Of course the most independent, self sufficient and truly sustainable people on the planet are the native tribes, but while we preach sustainability with one hand, we take their land and resources with the other and force them into poverty and sweatshop labor. We then loose thousands of years of knowledge on how to live sustainably and the corporations absorb their land after stripping it of resources and start mono cropping soy beans or something on it to feed the hungry environmentalists back in the cities.

Meanwhile the children of the younger generation are turning into the Hitler youth. If you don't believe me try putting down some popular corporate product, like McDonald's for example. The fervor which these kids defend their fascist allegiances would be funny if it wasn't so far reaching.

Its one hell of a time we were born into, but perhaps its better than our Grandfathers who had to fight the fascists while standing knee deep in freezing fetid sludge. They are getting pretty close to global domination now, and I'm getting a little worried that I'll have to face up to Pop up in heaven and let him know that all his good work was undone because we were hypnotized by the jingles and colours on a box, and we consumed ourselves into a stupor.

Bring on the sedition I say! Gandhi style...