Online PDC

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Ludi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I think you just answered the email I sent Craig. :D

I can tell you, from the quality so far from the ethics chapter I am drooling already to start the next section. Typically people spend roughly 80 in the ethics chapter, however since I answered all the questions & really took an introspective look at my situation I did an actual 5.5 hours.

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Maybe Craig should hire me to answer his emails :D (although I would be interested to hear the official reply)

It's great hearing how you are finding the course. I'm thinking about doing it myself later on.

3. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

4. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I just started Natural System Design.. it's making me think which I am enjoying.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I just finished the first 5 modules last night, i.e. the intro course. Despite practicing this on my own for several years, I still learned a lot. Now time for the hardcore fun stuff! WEEEEE!!!

6. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :) Does it seem like a good value for the money?

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Absolutely

8. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

After reading this thread, and going over everything on the permaculture visions website(along with an email asking questions), I finally signed up for their PDC. The introduction PDF was very informative and I'm now just waiting on confirmation of my payment and to begin this PDC. I took the option of taking the introduction to permaculture course first. The bonus to this is if I find out that it's not what I expected, then I have a minimal investment tied to it. If I find out that it's good(which I fully expect), then any money spent is credited towards the full PDC.

If you're one of those people who has to have instant gratification, then you might be disappointed. Any email I send from the US usually takes a day for a response simply due to the fact that they're sleeping when I'm awake. It's not a problem for me, but when you're dealing with people on the other side of the globe, you should expect delays(more of a heads up than a complaint). From what I understand, the course will take about 100 hours to complete(which isn't an issue because you can go at your own pace). If you choose to do all the homework assignments, then it can take as long as 300 hours. I might choose to do all the homework assignments because this will give me practical experience and may be better for me in the long run. I'm taking this course to learn first and foremost, and to get a PDC secondly(but still important). Unfortunately being licensed or certified is one of the only methods of showing people that you are capable of doing anything(I blame formal education and laziness).

I'll keep posting to help others who are looking for a way to earn a PDC while unable to invest the time(and normally higher cost) in a hands-on PDC.

9. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Unmutual, are the homework assignments projects you do in your own yard or other "real life" area? Are they something one can do in an ongoing permaculture homescape, or, is one expected to be starting from scratch with a bare lot?

Looking forward to reading more about your experiences with the course, which I'm considering taking. :)

10. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I haven't actually started with homework yet, but from what I can gather, it's tailored to your locality and the land available to you(questions about your climate, land size and native vegetation are asked when signing up). So I am assuming that any homework assignment for me will deal mostly with suburban/urban techniques, which is pretty much what I'm looking for because this is my desired area of expertise since I live in suburbia and when I do volunteer work I usually deal with suburbanites.

I expect to have everything to start tomorrow because of the 12+ hour lag involved between the US and Australia. Therefor I believe I could have an initial feel for this program sometime next week(probably later in the week). There are copyright issues that I need to deal with, so I probably can't(or shouldn't) go in to much detail. I am ready to sink my teeth into this though!

11. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

As long as you don't copy text you should be fine with copyright issues; just tell us what you're doing in your own words and you should be fine. :)

12. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am ahead of him in class so I will answer this part.

Yes, there is not only questions for research, but very practical assignments, projects, and help from the very basics to more advanced things like your Master Design. They do expect you to do this on your own property, & you will not be starting from a bare lot, you start with your own property. It does not matter if you have started or not, have prior knowledge or not. It opens up worlds for you.

Ludi, with respect, take the course & join us 2! :D

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am in Oregon, and it took me and April a few days to truly synch up, and get everything proper, then again it might of been me. ;)

14. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Just a quick update before work: the first module(ethics) really made me think. I was fearing that since I have read a lot already(and practiced a little), that it would be easy. Happily, I was proven wrong. The next section promises to make me use even more grey matter. I'll be starting the second section this week. For ethics, I did all the homework. I am going to try to do the same with design(though this homework is a lot more involved).

15. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I am answering every question April throws at me in our homework. No skipping, I want to learn.

16. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

Just an update. I've been trying to do every single question(so far so good) and I am currently finishing up section 3 of part 1(3 parts total, 1st part is 5 sections). You can pay as you go for each section. You do get responses from April, and she also fires questions back to you. I have an irregular schedule, and this has been worthwhile. It's still forcing me to use the grey matter between my thick skull, and that makes it enjoyable to me. I've been taking my sweet time with this, so I'll report more after I finish this part and move onto the 2nd part.

17. waiting for godot

waiting for godot Junior Member

Thanks for the info, this looks right for me since I am somewhat tired of lectures and wish my current classes were all online.
    After reading all the threads, I was left wondering if this course is "recognized" by permaculturists at large?
    Like, no one in 5 years is going to say, "oh, that PDC doesn't count."
    Thanks!

18. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I was worried about the same thing, then PRI had its master design program started to which you pay an annual fee for having completed a 72Hour PDC + Master Design review.

https://permacultureglobal.com/projects/legend

Check the bottom one called, Master Plan

19. waiting for godot

waiting for godot Junior Member

Thanks, maybe I am dull, or the coffee hasn't set in, but what part of that page are you referring to?
    Is this online PDC recognized by PRI?
    Thanks

20. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I don't think there are any "official" PDCs. There are official guidelines and an official curriculum. If it follows Bill Mollison's Permaculture: A Designers Manual, then it should be okay. The link that Pak has is akin to earning merit badges, and can make it seem more "official", but I believe that stuff is for projects that are underway and/or mature. It's like a seal of approval on your project: be it your own back yard, a food forest, or a project that cleaned up the pollution in lakes and streams via permacultural methods. It seems to me that it is an extension of the peer review program.

But if you're looking for a list of official permaculture teachers, you're not going to find one. There used to be one somewhere, but it hasn't been active for some time. Any information stating otherwise would be nice to know about. If you can take a hands-on PDC, then I suggest you do it. This is more for folks with strange schedules or for people that can't make it to a hands-on PDC.