Online PDC

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Ludi, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Has anyone here taken an online PDC? I know hands-on PDCs are probably better, but I don't want to talk about that. :) I want to ask if anyone here has taken an online PDC and what did you think of it? Which one did you take and do you recommend it?

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Ludi, there are a few here who have done online PDCs. If they're not around currently, have a search in older threads, there's been some discussion on this before. I'd like to hear an update though, as I am interested too.

3. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Thanks I found a couple things, not much actual info from people who have actually taken an online PDC.....

4. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    hmmm, I thought there were a couple of people here who had done the Permaculture Visions course and talked about it.

5. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Sadly I haven't been able to find them by searching. :(

6. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I hope people will respond in this thread.

7. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

8. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
  9. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Thank you Pebble, looks like I am on the right track. Now I just need to find the cash.

10. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Let us know how you find the course Pak!

Ludi, I see Burra is one of the ones that took the PV course. Did you ask on Permies?

11. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

Thanks. :)

12. cdoug_e

cdoug_e Junior Member

from a friend, one of the best

Online Permaculture Design Course
    with Andrew Millison & Marisha Auerbach

Oregon State University Extended Campus

January 6, 2012 - March 23, 2012

This online Permaculture Design Certificate Course focuses on the Permaculture design system: fundamental tools and strategies that can be applied at scales from the home garden to city block to village to farm. Although rooted in horticulture and agriculture, Permaculture design is interdisciplinary, touching on a wide range of subjects including regional planning, ecology, animal husbandry, appropriate technology, architecture, and international development.

The combined Hort 285 & 286 certificate course takes students on a journey to design the site of their choice, where the curriculum and assignments all build towards the creation of an integrated site design.

The course consists of narrated slide shows by experienced Permaculture instructors, educational video tours with knowledgeable guides, and interactive assignments, working towards the completion of a Permaculture site design.

Students present their work on individual blogs, which are visible for other students to comment on, and through discussion boards the community of learning is encouraged.

To register, visit www.beaverstatepermaculture.com or call 800-667-1463

13. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

It's a shame the University is holding back Permaculture from where it is truly needed.

Just now I picked up the Ag newspaper for this area and someone spent $100,000 this year to pump more water out of the Snake River, or the accidental drifting via airplane of Roundup onto someones organic farm as glaring examples of why this needs to be more of an OSU Extension thing at the very least.

My big question is this true,

People who have taken the class are wondering the same thing about the certification since they got no documentation at the end of the course. Another university drone suckered I guess?

Here's a link to the extension service which serves most farms in the state:

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/

Note the lack of Permaculture and my angst. Permaculture is BADLY needed in my county, let alone my state.. and this just fuels me to be annoyed.

Oh, and lastly, the reason for my gripe here is because despite OSU extension saying it answered over 2,500 questions last year online, none of them could ever answer a single permaculture question, or questions about weather or not they would even teach its knowledge. More often then not I got rude replies about Permaculture.

I for one am avoiding this like the dark ages plague!

14. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Started it today, I have homework already as well as a lot to think about just in the Ethics chapter. :)
    What a great way to start the new year right!!!!

15. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    beware pacman - you can not unlearn this stuff - have fun!

16. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Have fun, and keep coming back and telling us about it :)

17. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

I'm eager to read your updates on how the course is going for you. :)

18. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Update:

I mailed Craig today, something I try to never do, he is busy helping PRI with really important stuff.

However, I saw this yesterday: https://permaculture.org.au/2011/10/19/the-pri-restarts-the-permaculture-teacher-registry/

& it concerns me about https://permaculturevisions.com/index.html#courses

& the course I am suddenly taking, I feel & wonder if I have to pay twice now. Once for my class, another for a 2nd review done by PRI.... I am so confused, possibly of my own making, but to me this is a lot of money going around & I feel stuck and possibly shafted.

19. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

After glancing over that, the registry looks like just something to make one look more qualified to people who are looking for a teacher. Doesn't seem to be required, though, which is what worried me. Permaculture doesn't need MORE barriers to dissemination, in my opinion.

20. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    As far as I can tell, the registry is a second tier of teachers that have been peer-reviewed. If you want this distinction then you can go through the process, but it isn't necessary to be on the PRI registry in order to teach. Honestly the Mollisons' old registry had so few names on it that, and only one name from NZ that I considered it irrelevant in looking at teachers here.

I don't know how the PRI one will pan out. I'm sure part of it is the PRI's need to maintain the integrity of the PDC and included in that is exclusion of teachers who include anything metaphysical. I don't think that last bit is the main focus though. I expect that in the end there will be a number of registries meeting different needs in different parts of the world, and still many teachers not on any registry at all.

It will be really interesting to see if Permaculture Visions go through the registry process (being taught by someone on the registry will count for something eventually). Personally I wouldn't worry about it at this stage, I'd just look at the quality of the course.