Molasses in compost

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by frosty, Sep 21, 2005.

1. frosty

frosty Junior Member

someone said something about using molassis in compost to help the microbes ?

I tried a search and cant find it

so how much ? how often ?

or did I dream the whole thing :? :lol:

frosty

2. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

you can put molassis with friut and tobacco and smoke it :D

Little trick I learnt whist in the middle east, eating kababs and smokin fruit, ya mun..

3. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Frosty,

That might have been me who said that, and what the mollases does is give the compost biota something to grow and reproduce quickly with. I learned about this in a course I took with Gabirella Soto of CAATIE (a wonderful person).

It is a common ingedient in bokashi.

Anywya, we were taught to dilute the mixture with five parts water to one part molasses, which would make it easy to spray oneo the top of your compost pile. You want the compost to get damp, but not water logged.

As I recall, this will give some snack food for the biota in question, whose population will increase explosively, and then do a better job on breaking down the plant matter.

I have to admit that outside of the course took, I haven't tried it again :( . I don't keep a single compost pile, myself, but take buckets of compostables and strategiacllay spread them around in a very partially composted state to break down on their own.

Hows the solar system doiung? You try each panel to see if you could narrow down the problem yet?

C

4. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Mollassas

Look at the ABC gardening site. They have a section on organic gardening and they have non toxic mixes for juct about everything. I'd post a linkbut dont know how

5. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

6. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Off the compost Penny,
    really like your signature...is it yours? or where from??
    Cathy...very unimmaginative..no signature :lol:

7. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Signature

I workat the Centre for Aboriginal Studies at Curtin University. the aboriginal people believe that the land and its bounty is to be shared by all. You may use the land and all it provides but not destry it. They are its guardians and care for it so it will be there for ever. I thought that this fitted with the Permaculture principals really well hence the signature.

8. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks everyone :D

we have a large supply of molasses now because we had to buy a 20 l drum to get some for the goats :lol:

she only has a spoonful a day ( which mean it may ne a lifetime supply unless we find another use for it ) but without it she wont eat the chaff and without the chaff her feed is too concentrated an will give her some sort of indigestion :shock:

christopher we havent tested them yet ......partly due to busy with goat stuff ........

but we also seem to have a technical problem ...... I dont think we can measure it ........ the clampmeter wont work unless they are connected and then the regulator stops them charging fully .......

I think we need a type of meter we dont have .......... :?

penny I too like your sig especially now I know how it came about ........

frosty

9. baleboy

baleboy Junior Member

molasses

it might have been a post from me about the molasses

if you get worm castings which are full of good bacteria for plants

then put them in a hessian burlap sack and make a worm casting tea

the acteria are realeased in to the water but in this environment they will not thrive

they need food and water to really get going

if you put a fish tank bubbler in to the water

then feed the bacteria 5 parts carbon (molasses) and one part nitrogen (urea)

they will go nuts

then you can put this mix onto your soil

to increase the bacteria

i got this from a book called organic gardening with worms

by david murphy great book easy to read and very praactical for small and huge scale farms and gardens

ishani are you there ??? she knows more about this than i do

although i have a new house mate moving in who is a soil scientist so hhopefully i can find out more

10. frosty

frosty Junior Member

thanks baleboy that sounds interesting and we do have worms ....... curently we just put the castings in water and put it on the plants

the only problem for us is what is urea? is it a chemical made from petroleum ? If it is we couldnt use it on our garden because I am sensitive to all petro based products :?

frosty