Looking for Vetiver Grass

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by lovingmygarden, Mar 26, 2009.

1. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Hi everyone. I am looking to plant an eroded area of my yard with vetiver grass to hopefully stop further erosion. If anyone has any they can spare I would loveto buy some off you, or if anyone know where I can get some from that too would be great.
    Cheers lovingmygarden

2. bazman

bazman Junior Member

Re: Looking for Vetiver Grass

Green Harvest stock it
    https://www.greenharvest.com.au/Plants/vetiver_info.html
    It can be quite expensive. I think it was roughly $60 for 10 single stems

If your in Brisbane PM me.

I have 5 or 6 different large clumping grasses, if your in a dry area I would recommend lomandra grass, it's a hardy aussie native which is easy to grow from seed. I tried growing it using seed balls and it works great, wack down the ball in a little mulch and wait for rain, it's that easy. I really like it when they all flower, I just planted out another 400 of them around my front gardens from my seed stock.

https://home.vtown.com.au/~dbellamy/native/lomandra.html

I bet your local council grow it, might be able to buy tube stock at $1.50 a tube or cheaper from them.

3. lovingmygarden

lovingmygarden Junior Member

Re: Looking for Vetiver Grass

Thanks bazman,
    I will try the local council to see about that. I actually have two little plants of lomandra in pots ready to be planted out. I ahve seen it here around the local rivers and they survive after being 6 meters or more under raging flood waters, so it sure would do the trick.....don`t know why I didn`t think of it before now that I`m saying this????? I remember when we lived on the Gold Coast we have lots of it growing in our garden and it reallyis a hardy plant and yes the spikey flowers are nice (different but nice).
    Thanks again :D