looking for PDC online . . .

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by Roderic, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Roderic

Roderic Junior Member

enjoying this discussion. . .

I'm finding this discussion very satisfying. Amongst permaculture practitioners, so it should be. As for taking a PDC course, the policy of 'buyer be aware' is solid. And people are living' growing, maybe not growing, and changing too, so it is good to do some research.

I have found an online course offered through Oregon State University, by Andrew Millison. It is an Advanced PDC and OSU calls it Hort 485.

2. betr2garden

betr2garden Junior Member

I agree Roderic. I am glad to be able to talk to Permaculture practitioners about such matters as the world is full of people doing great things, but often coming at things from different perspectives. I will have a look at the course you listed. Sounds interesting.

Deee, I agree that, although the theory is the important thing to get done in 72 hrs, there are ways to add a little spice and breed a little enthusiasm. Many people are at the beginnings of their knowledge (in the broader scheme of things) at the stage that they undertake a course (be it a PDC or other training), and blossoming into motivated, confident Permaculturalists would definitely our benefit our community and society in general. Each person learns differently and each teacher teaches differently (that is why Bill Mollison's guidelines keep Permaculture being Permaculture even with all our varied interests).

I have seen courses which include PDC criteria, but are beyond 72hrs so they can also include other fields (such as horticulture). I intend to research these fairly thoroughly as I am a bit of a purist when it comes to Bill's vision.

Thanks for all the information and advice. I am feeling more confident to look around and find something suitable. :think:

3. NJNative

NJNative Junior Member

For a list of PRI certified teachers, see here:

https://permacultureglobal.com/users?search=&type=pri_teacher&climate_zone=&commit=Filter

I don't think it's necessary for the teacher to be certified by PRI for them to be a great teacher. I know there's lots of good ones out there who haven't been certified yet, and I'm sure that in good time, they will be certified eventually.

In regards to hands on vs. theory, if I was taking a face to face course, I would definitely opt for as much hands on as I could get. Certain people just learn better that way, myself included, so sitting in a class for 72 hours, while I'm sure it would be stimulating, would not be the most ideal learning situation for me personally. Any good teacher would know this, and accommodate for all learning styles in their teaching methods.

4. Roderic

Roderic Junior Member

Thanks NJ.
    Wow, that is a small list. My experience is that good teachers are a rare breed. They combine experience with good communication skills. And yes, they would discern and accommodate different learning styles. I find nature to be the best teacher. No matter how badly I perform she accepts it and shows me again how it is really to be done. Orcharding has been my favorite classroom.

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    It's a small list because most permaculture teachers in the world aren't even on that website yet, let alone being able to jump the hoops required to get registered. The project is new, and it will take some time to become prominent, and even then there will always be teachers who aren't on the register for legitimate reasons but who are good teachers.

6. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    For instance, these people are not registered on the website: Holmgren, Linda Woodrow, Toby Hemenway.

Patrick Whitefield and Rowe Morrow have registered but have no info on their pages.

7. Roderic

Roderic Junior Member

Thanks Pebble, yes the list is not definitive in terms of teachers!

This seems like a good place for permaculture people to put in some roots; well organized.

8. betr2garden

betr2garden Junior Member

Let the world know... again

I was over the moon when I decided to join THIS site, but finding Permaculture Global was even more exciting to me. Ok, so I'm easily pleased :clap::handshake::handshake:

I noticed that the number of teachers listed roughly equated to the number quoted here, so thought perhaps this was the source. I also searched for Holmgren and several other known teachers.

I know the global site has been going a while but I'm all excited about it as I only just found it. I'd like to challenge everyone to just share the link around through their contacts and social networks again to keep new people finding the site and to keep people coming back. :handshake:

Often people sign up to sites and then don't go back unless they are finding reason to do so (have questions, friends and colleagues mentioning often, etc, etc). The more updates the better for the whole Permaculture family. It really is a great way to find out all the large and small projects across the world that we might never, ever find out about otherwise. Great motivator; great information sharing; guidance at our fingertips.

I may be wrong, but the global site link is a tab on the forum page so maybe PRI could advertise it on the home page occasionally, too.