How to set limits/parameters to a design offer

Discussion in 'Put Your Questions to the Experts!' started by MichelleS, Jun 16, 2015.

1. MichelleS

MichelleS New Member

I will be offering a permaculture design as a "prize" for people to bid on for a charity auction. I am a new PDC and this is not my day job. I can be fairly generous with time if it's not on a deadline, but I'm wondering how you folks 'bid' your projects or limit your offer?
    people could have a whole farm, a suburban lot, or a mother's garden they want me to do, there is no way to know in advance. so how can I present the offer in the auction?
    thanks much for any guidance

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Michelle, congratulations on your new PDC!
    You are correct in being aware of managing expectations. In that your "prize winner" will have an indeterminate property, maybe you could offer a more general "prize" such as:

1) Will perform an initial survey of the property to evaluate Pc basics such as orientation/sun angles/slopes/winds/contours/etc and present site sector maps.
    2) Will evaluate existing layouts/relationships between elements and provide options for future improvement implementation.
    3) Will evaluate desired goals and propose approaches to integrating them with the existing property.

Then leave it at that. I would imagine that some part of your goal in offering this prize might to be to obtain some funded design work from the prize winner. As you will most likely not have nor offer multi-year work on this prize, a preliminary evaluation complete with some concrete site maps/drawings/contours would be a valuable gift even without further design work.

3. MichelleS

MichelleS New Member

thanks!

This is very helpful, more ideas from others still welcome!
    :)