1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

They asked me to PAY for a raffle ticket to get one. I passed on it.

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

I didn't buy one either. They would have been in USD. They did make $90,000 there abouts to donate. They will be over $8 mil by the weekend

3. mullerjannie

mullerjannie Junior Member

No one likes the nay-sayer.

However I'd like to state that we should keep in mind we don't know the effect of plastic on food (or bees). First BPA came around and then that was banned, now research shows BPA's replacement is even worse.

I firmly believe that the same way wearable technology is becoming ever more fashionable and "physically closer" to us, soon it will be embedded in us. On invention TV was in front of us, the remote moved to our hands as did the mobile phone, glasses,watches, earpieces and 3D printed organs and hackable heart monitors.

Plastics are making it's appearance for animal\ insect shelters and soon 3D printed houses will see us living in a BPA contaminated or equivalent space. Plastics fuel the petroleum industry. It's better for the bees we say, we can also say Round-up ready soy beans are kept "safe" from insect, what a good deed. Beehives, the traditional ones Warre or Longstroth has become expensive due to price of timber , lack of hobby crafting which results in woodwork being "niche" and hence we pay for it.

I live in New Zealand, our wood is sold and processed offshore and if I want to craft a little bird box or bee frame. I have to a fortune for the nails, screws, hinges and wood than a brand new bird box made in china (from NZ pine) none the less. I save a couple of dollars if I buy it pre-assembled but I lose a lifetime of experience and skill not to mentioned the fulfillment . What seem cheap could cost us dearly in the long term.

This hive makes harvesting sustainable for us at the cost of a naturally made house for the bees, plastic simply doesn't have the thermal properties,not to mention the chemicals added for UV resistance. The current hives are a long shot from trees and crevasses offered by nature or the old boiler we had on the farm which we discovered was a preference for a hive. We could also see self destruct options on modern hives when varroa mites are detected to "save" the rest of the hives.

I support change in an industry which had seen little since it's creation thousands of years ago. I'd put my money towards natural queen selection (which requires patience) but it cannot be artificially inseminated and sold like we do now. Sometimes we think we are smart and we end up with cake on our face.

There are some good documentaries on bees such as Burt's Bees, More than Honey, Vanishing of the Bees available on Netflix and AppleTV.

KiwiInOz likes this.