even cheaper worm keeping

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by songbird, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Terra

Terra Moderator

Brian Brian you should turn your web site into a BLOG then we could follow and visit every day .

Bryant this Autumn (start of our wet season) I planned on setting up three of the open bottomed worm compounds in the centre of my mandala veg garden with the frog pond in the centre of the patch and the perennial plants between them (Rhubarb ect). I have one of my compounds in under a old lemon tree and it has completely transformed the old neglected tree into a virtual monster .

I brought some lovely big night crawlers home from my last trip away and was organising a house for them , but Mrs Terra put the shade house water on and they died in the little containers , they were massive real shame . After reading these posts the next lot will just go in a open bottom set up with plenty of space .

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Terra l have no idea how to do that.
    Bryant starting in tubs is a bettter idea as you can control the worms better. In the garden there is too much space so thry can spread too thin.
    On my phone so have to go.

3. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    Thanks Brian, I will be setting up in one of my tubs this spring, can't wait to get some worms going.

4. briansworms

Spring and Autumn are breeding seasons. They will breed all year round if conditions are good. but you notice the difference in those two seasons. Having said that my Reds are ahead of themselves as it is still summer but they are huge at the moment. Even my Africans have grown out very nicely compared to a month ago.

5. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

uh huh Brian. So this is where you snuck off to. Gotcha by the short and curlies LOL

LITA
    Uncle Ben

PS I had been supplying my friend and neighbor, Charlie with fishing worms last year and explained that if he just strewed a couple of bales of hay about six inches deep over an unused and inconspicuous area, wet it down and lay some cardboard on top he could have fishing worms coming to him in a couple of months, and to increase the supply he could lift the hay and throw kitchen scraps on top of the "breeding area". Only problem.....I don't see much of my friend now, except on poker nights....And Donnie......and Tim....and Al, all his neighbors, quit getting their bait from me also. Didn't I hear someone say "No good turn.............

6. briansworms

Has it got too cold for the worm? What species are you using for fishing?
    Yes l have snuck over here lol.

7. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Too cold outside but there are still worms inside the "worm house",although I really have not been tending them very often. Perhaps just enough to keep them hoping.

LITA
    Uncle Ben

8. briansworms

Ben just make sure your bedding is deep and wide and hopefully they will be ok.