Current zone 1 - Note,1 large image.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Pakanohida, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Bumped for Sweetpea.

:)

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Paka, thanks for bumping this! I remember reading this a couple years ago. It looks so green and verdant! You have inspired me to put the vegetables in with the flowers in my "tired" seedballs. I was doing herbs and flowers, and I don't usually play roulette with vegetables because I really want them, but I need to mix it up more and more. Sometimes I have to tell myself here, "Oh, stop being such a chicken!"

You know, I bet it was pack rats that took your seedballs (they disappeared overnight, right?) As soon as it gets dark here they start running around cutting, dragging and digging. They have completely dug through my flats of seeds inside the greenhouse until I wrapped the flats in sheer curtains. Or did you ever find out what took them? Night cams are invaluable sometimes!

And I have a question about your monoculture/polycuture picture. I know what that means, and I know the value of polyculture. But your monoculture picture doesn't look bad, unless I'm not seeing something. :)

3. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

Not exactly over night disappearance, it did take a few days. As for the mono / poly picture; monoculture can look good and healthy, especially with fava beans, but its all about the soil and its health.

Im not sure if I have packrats doing this, but something keeps burrowing around and leaving mounds of soil here and there which I just kick over and spread the new soil bump as best I can. I contribute this to having so much calendula come up all over the place this spring without me seed balling last year.

This year, money willing, I plan to seed ball for my pasture areas.

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Paka, your digger might be a skunk. Mine makes the biggest messes digging for grubs and worms where it's damp. They will also climb up on top of a large container if left out and poop on top of it, they apparently like to mark their territory on higher surfaces.

I also have a fox that will do some aggressive digging into a gopher hole, but it's not a hole the fox started. I don't know what gopher in its right mind would hang around for something digging madly at the doorway, but the foxes seem to think it's worthwhile.

Both good coworkers nonetheless :)