Basic questions from newbies

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tulipwood, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Tulipwood

Tulipwood Junior Member

It's only a dumb question if you don't ask it, so they say. Well that's the excuse I'm using for having to ask the following ...

Ginger: some questions. The corms are starting to appear above the level of the soil/mulch. Is this OK or should i cover it?
    How will I know when to harvest it? Will it die down in subtropical Queensland - some other plants that are supposed to don't in my garden (eg asparagus).
    If I bandicoot it, and leave it in the ground, how will I know if that corm is mature enough - does it matter?
    Someone told me that galangal and ginger can both be bandicooted, but one you take the outside corms but the other you have to take the inside corms otherwise you'll kill the plant. Is this right and if so, which is which?

2. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

hello - i dont have all the answers to your questions, however my ginger always appears over soil level after some time and it doesnt seem to hurt it. I tend to harvest it when there is substantially more than what I planted, but leave a bit in the soil to keep growing. I dont know about your climate and whether it will die down - where I live if some stays in the soil it will start growing again in the rainy season even if I dont water it when its dry season.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member