Aus Gov Grants: $10-25k for Permaculture (Community Food) Projects

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by ecodharmamark, Jun 10, 2013.

1. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

How the program will work

Grants of up to $10 000 for community gardens, city farms or similar activities and up to $25 000 for farmers’ markets, food rescue and similar activities will be available. Grants will be made available for projects to achieve one or more of the following objectives:

• use community food initiatives to build social networks, community cohesion and resilience, and build connections between farmers and consumers
    • improve people’s knowledge about food production and preparation to encourage the adoption of healthy diets
    • improve people’s knowledge of food production and agriculture in urban areas
    • help provide surplus safe and nutritious food to disadvantaged groups.
    Who can apply

Community Food Grants are open to not-for-profit organisations including, but not limited to:

• farmers’ markets
    • charities
    • food rescue organisations
    • cooperative societies
    • Indigenous or culturally and linguistically diverse groups
    • community groups able to meet the program objectives
    • other non-government organisations.
    Schools and local, state and territory governments are not eligible to apply for these grants.

Further info:

https://www.daff.gov.au/agriculture-food/food/community-food-grants

2. annette

annette Junior Member

This is fabulous! I hope lots of groups apply and get these grants.

3. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

4. annette

annette Junior Member

Does my head in too, especially when the guy in the article says

"Glyphosate is widely used in agricultural weed control as it is affordable, safe, and an effective herbicide."

unbelievable.................

5. ecodharmamark

6. permasculptor

Thanks Marcos I didn't realize the difference.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

And then there's DAFF-y Duck and his friends Houie, Dewy and Louie...

8. permasculptor

I recon the QLD chapter is DAFF-t

9. ecodharmamark

And then there's my favourite DAFF-t Punk song...

[video=youtube;FGBhQbmPwH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8[/video]

10. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Doesnt Anna Bligh have the disease ,David SUzuki claimed was caused by roundup???

11. annette

annette Junior Member

Yes it has been linked. Mind you this is the same person that forced fluoride in drinking water onto all Queenslanders. When asked what was her greatest achievement on ABC radio, Anna Bligh said it was this. Go figure.

https://www.national-toxic-encephalopathy-foundation.org/roundup.pdf

12. aikidesigns

aikidesigns Junior Member

DAFFy duck = albatross

This is almost as useful as tits on a bull. Just been trying to jump a truly worthwhile project through the sphincter-like hoops imposed by the guidelines of this grant. Failed.
    No funding is provided for people, only stuff (as per usual for these head-up-donkey government grants). Matching funding cannot include people (i.e. contribution of time/labour etc.) or 90% of other stuff needed.
    I am so sick sick sick of this kind of half-baked attempt to look good by pretending to fund stuff - the money will inevitably go towards putting little plaques on things. Bomb threats should be sent to:
    The Manager
    Community Food Grants
    Agricultural Productivity Division
    Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    GPO Box 858
    CANBERRA CITY ACT 2601

13. ecodharmamark

Failing that, try giving Matt Kovall (First Assistant Secretary - Agricultural Productivity Division) a call on: 02 6272 3933.

14. aikidesigns

Thanks Marko for the heads up - as soon as I saw the OP I madly rushed to get an application in (should have read the guidelines more carefully!). I am looking at crowdfunding now, coz I've had it with gov grants.
    Do you really think its worth calling Mr Kovall? My current mood seems to contraindicate phone conversations with public servants. Had enough of that when I was one...

15. ecodharmamark

G'day AIKI: Mr Kovall will most likely handball your inquiry to some other boffin, but eventually you should be able to get a hold of the 'Manager' mentioned in your previous post. It's always good to be able to put a name to the person who is most likely going to be saying 'yay' or 'nay' to your application. Yes, it's always tricky with grant applications, trying to match like (material) costs with like. But, that's the way they do it. Sorry I can't be of more assistance to your individual project. Regards, M.

16. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

It's like other grants I've seen for things, like fencing off areas on properties for conservation purposes. When we looked at some of those we had to put up the same amount as we would apply for (or do the fencing and pay for it and then get the funding for a percentage of it if successful. Which meant we couldn't apply. If we had any spare money we would have started already. Doh.

17. aikidesigns

Thanks Marko, I know the drill with these eejits. Promotion beyond competence is the general rule, so the higher you go, the less likely you are to achieve anything.
    MITH I hear ya... It's cunningly designed to appear like funding, but ultimately the really needy projects aren't eligible, and a LOT of money ends up in the pockets of private consultants that are supposed to "advise" you on your application!!?!
    I'll continue to use small and slow solutions with this project (i.e. doing most of it myself, for free), but when others' participation depends on them seeing stuff happen "fast", it can be depressing with just the strains of Holmgren's lovely ninth for company. =P
    My ongoing bitch-theme with government grants is that they always seem happy to fund things (i.e. stuff you can put a plaque on, saying "funded by X" - which will always need people to build and maintain), but X rarely allocates sufficient funds for the people to build and maintain the things they say they'll fund.
    Currently brainstorming ways of defining in-kind contributions of time/labour as a product or capital good - if anyone has any bright ideas. Perhaps buying indentured labourers is the go - at least human chattels could be summarily freed at the end of the project...
    Sorry I couldn't summon more positive vibes for this post. =(

18. ecodharmamark

Or... we could all move north of the Tropic of Capricorn:

[​IMG]

...and when Mr Rabbit strikes a deal with Gina re: the Northern Australian Economic Exclusion Zone:

[​IMG]

...we'll be able to import our labour in from Africa and pay each individual $2 a day:

[video=youtube;BDAwGqlIp7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDAwGqlIp7E[/video]

...and with no more red and green tape to get in the way, then we'll really see the bulldozers role, yeah:

[​IMG]

19. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Is this in conjunction with their northern Australia big ag food bowl fantasy or just a completely separate delusion?

20. ecodharmamark

Yeah ... 'food, tourism, defence, resources' ... it's all in the 'plan'.

Geeze, MITH, get with the program ... weze all gunna be rich, I tellz ya ;).