arrowroot mash - yum!

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by adrians, Aug 11, 2011.

1. adrians

adrians Junior Member

We've had QLD arrowroot in the garden for a few years now. What a great plant, it's so hardy, chooks love the leaves, green and attractive in the garden. It's prolific, our ~6 tubers would now be well over a hundred.

Tonight for the first time we ate it and it was good.
    We made arrowroot mash..

recipe:
    choose new red arrowroot tubers which have not shooted, or have only just shot.
    Peel the tubers untill all vibrous material is gone, you might need to peel it more than once.
    Cook as you would mash potato, perhaps a bit longer.

Add garlic, butter and milk to taste. It's less smooth than potato mash, but I love that it's more than edible and so easy to grow.

try it!

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I must say I have never considered eating my Qld arrowroot - I have a good couple of hundred plant - and as good a job as you have done selling it, I can't say that I have any more desire to eat it now :lol:. Would be a bit of a last resort plant for me I think. I understand that the west indian arrowroot is more edible though??

I do agree though that the Qld arrowroot is a fantastic plant. I have it as a border on the western side of my garden patch and it does a great job of keeping many of the weeds from encroaching from the behind the arrowroot :lol:. I also chop and drop it at least yearly - which is also very useful for keeping weeds at bay.

3. Mysterious

Mysterious Junior Member

ive just had good success with roasting qld arrow root. i tried mashing it with butter and also just steaming it. in both cases i was not impressed at all with the results as it was quite fibrous. i will admit though these tubers already had stalks and a number of leaves.

in doing more digging on the web i took some advice from jerry (gardening australia). i peeled and cubed the tubers and soaked in cold water for four hours. i then roasted them in roast chicken pan juices for about 2 hours. they came out perfectly. not fibrous at all. tastes like roasted parsnip - just like jerry said it would. again this is the results from cookin tubers already established with leaves.

my 3 year old even liked eating it which is a good sign of success as he is very picky in what he eats.