aquaponics triponics invention

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by baleboy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Hmmm ok....will use a pump for each tank. Will have to consider whether or not to have a third one as a backup.

Also (is always mroe questions sorry)...If I get electric pumps..will these automatically be able to run off a solar power system or are there different types of pumps for a solar powered system??

I haven't looked at pumps yet...tis one of my first jobs once I've moved.

:)

2. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Thats alright Corny, I don't mind questions, it makes me think.... :? :D :D

You can get 12 or 24V DC pumps that are designed to work specifically from solar panels and/or batteries, Christopher might have some more hints on the solar side... This may be more efficient to run directly from your batteries instead of through an inverter for a 240V pump, though I'm not sure, once again Big C might have some thoughts...

A couple of things I would recommend. Try to use the same pump type if your going to have a couple of systems, and always keep a spare on hand .. Using the same pumps means that things are easily interchangeable, and keeping a spare on hand will save a lot of heartache should something go wrong... I lost a fair few Barra when a pump blew a seal, because it took me a while to get down to the shop to get a new one. Now I have a couple of spare on hand, just in case.....

3. Cornonthecob

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Corny,

While you can use an AC pump from a battery based system, the DC pumps are a good investment if you are using solar and batteries for a few reasons:

Inverters are %88 efficient, which means that they lose some power turning DC to AC. Also, inverters DO occasionally fail, which means an AC pump is an anchor... can't pump. Lastly DC pumps are more efficient anyway, even before the %12 loss of power in the DC to AC conversion. So that is the way to go, and how I would do it if it was my system.

Disadvantages are cost, cost, and cost. DC pumps are more expensive. I have no idea how much more expensive, but I know they cost more. You will need thicker cables, etc, too, but one avoided pump death from lack of functioning inverter, and you will have more than broken even (my opinion). Long term economics are in DC pumps favor.

You can do pumps solar direct, which we do to fill tanks, overflow used to irrigate, etc, but for an aquaponics system :wav: you will need a battery bank.

Let me know how it goes... we are still months aay from being able to start on our system....

C

5. Cornonthecob

Ok...ta Chris :)

Will start looking at pumps next week.

Another question if I may (I blame Joel and his variables :) ).......is there any reason why I can't have the fish water being pumped into a grow bed....draining from this grow bed into another (and even another after that) before draining back out into the fish tank? Kinda a cascading thing.

Would the water drain quick enough from the top bed to fill the bottom bed before it drained away? What if each lower bed had a smaller drain hole, would that help?

Have I just answered my own question?! lol

Hope that makes sense.

6. Cornonthecob

Ha! Found it......

I have a 2000 gal poly water tank that I'm thinking about cutting in half to use in my aquaponic system.

If I do that then I would have two fish tanks (would obviously have to plug up/seal the inlet/over flow points on the top half)....the top half having a sump, where the pump could be placed?

Each tank would then hold approx 4000lt.

One concern I have at this stage, is: Would the tank be strong enough?

I would expect the bottom half to definately be strong enough, but what of the top half?

One answer could be to bury part of the top half, thus using the ground to provide support to the walls? Maybe even post placed around to also provide some support?

I've probably answered my own question, but am keen to hear what anyone else may have to say :)

I also have a metal tank (same size)...I prefer the poly tank as I doubt the top of the metal tank would be strong enough?? Thoughts?

7. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

hmmmmmmmmmm, no idea on whether the thing would be strong enough Corny, I imagine it would hold up, circles are the strongest shape with there being no weak points.... Buttt....... I guess theres only one way to really find out.... :lol: :lol:

8. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

What you could also add to support the half tank , Bury half then plave around 8 star posts around it, banged down so they are level. then before filling thread high tension wire through the star post.

Remember though to have the V of the post facing away from the tank. This will give the most resistance.

9. christopher

Hi Corny,

The top of your new tank (if you cot the old tank) will be under tension from the water, and DtMs solution would be an excellent way to deal with that. However, a circle onder even tension (water would be exceptionally even) would be extremely strong... even without the cables.

Having said that, as me mum says (shes an architect and structural engineer), "better to over build and not need oit than to try to save money and under build and gave a structural failure"...

BTW, I like your cascading idea, and, as acomplete novice strong on enthusiasm, I think it could work...

Maybe Joel has more info...

When are you going to build it?

C

10. j_wentz1

j_wentz1 New Member

This idea was mentioned by Alvin Toffler in one of his books written in the 1980's. He mentions a system like this with chickens as part of the food cycle.

11. christopher

J, New Alchemy Institute had a similar system on Cape Cod in the US in the 70s, much larger, not replicable by small holders or backyard enthusiasts, but what Joel has done is amazing because of its compactness and scaleability, that anyone with good solar exposure in their back yard could build this.

Joel is brilliant!