water barrels (plastic drums) - where to get them?

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by susann, Jun 28, 2008.

1. susann

susann Junior Member

Hi - I am looking for some water barrels (at low cost) and have concluded that the 200L blue plastic drums (food grade) are the go - if I can get my hand on some. Where do you them from? I see them on ebay - all pick up of course but none in my area.

Any thoughts? Thanks

2. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

Re: water barrels (plastic drums) - where to get them?

Check out any local pet supplies or agriculture supplies places. I was able to buy a big one for about $20 or so that was previously used for horse food. They didn't have lots, but they do get them regularly.

3. JoanVL

JoanVL Junior Member

Instead of barrels, I bought two plastic storage containers, 55 litres each, for a total of $18 from one of those discount places.

I placed them on a slope under the outlet from the shower...when one is full it tips into the other. I planted comfrey around them becuase I need the stuff, and it removes the ugliness of white plastic.

I just take buckets full out and pour it on my fruit trees...the bananas seem to love it. (We are careful about just using plain soap in the shower to avoid toxins)

I use the lids as mini-tables for my pot plants, using old bricks as 'legs'

4. susann

susann Junior Member

I checked out the pet supply place nearby - they sell a 200L for $44. I would still near to get a rain water diverter for the downpipe or other piping to get the water to the barrel, then a tap, and probably set up a leaf filter of some sort (my roof is very high - can't imagine getting up there very often!) Or I could by a barrel kit at bunnings (ugh) for $199.

Will keep looking into it and promise to post a pic when my simple system is set up. (Aim to start small and when $$ available add larger tanks)

Any further tips on how to proceed welcome...