Tropical plants in South west WA

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by William_Blakers, Aug 4, 2003.

1. William_Blakers

William_Blakers Junior Member

Hello All
    Does anyone know if i am really pushing my luck to try and grow white and black sapote and macadamia nuts near Pemberton?
    I should be able to give them some north facing slopes, but they would have to be in a open position in the middle of a paddock otherwise the karri trees will keep them in shade. We do get a bit of frost, quite cold in winter(but no snow) and virtually no summer rain(cooler months only).
    Thanking all in anticipation
    yours Sincerely
    William Blakers

2. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    Hello William,

Wouldn't have thought you'd have too many problems with the Macadamia spp. provided you give them some early protection from frost and also hot desicating winds in summer. There are Maca's growing in Hobart quite well and we here in Bendigo don't seem to have a problem - nor with Avocadoes, guavas etc. You just have to pick the right spot and nurse them through the first few years till they're tall and strong enough to get out of trouble.

Jeff Nugent's on this list and would be able to tell you as a West Australian what the go is - especially with the sapote's.

Good Luck,

Darren Doherty

3. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

Hi William. I'm just up the road, almost to Nannup.
    Rule of thumb is that you'll get away with highland tropicals and some sub tropicals.
    Never had any joy with black sapote though. The wet and cold gang up on them :ghostface:
    White sapotes love it. Sapote is simply a bastardisation of the Aztec word zapote which simply means soft bodied fruit. That is all the black and white sapote have in common.
    There are commercial avacado and macadamia growers in Pemberton.
    Depends a bit on your microclimate though.
    Cheers, Jeff

4. William_Blakers

William_Blakers Junior Member

Dear Darren and Jeff
    thank you both for your replies.
    Jeff, I borrowed a copy of your permaculture plants book from my sister and found it to be quite usefull. If i cant build up the courage to steal her copy I will buy one for myself.
    Do you have any info on how the white sapote is different from the black one. I think the white is related to Citrus??? Also at what stage did you plant the black sapote? Mine are at seedling hieght (5 inch) and the white sapote are around 10 inch high. If I grow them on a bit in pots in perth and plant them at sapling stage will it help much?

5. Jeff Nugent

Jeff Nugent Junior Member

William, white sapote can be planted at that height but are prone to winter attack by slugs and snails. I have actually used white sapote seedlings and passionfruit in my coldframe as a snail and slug lure. Go out at night and 90% of the varmits are on those two plants.
    The black sapote I have tried at various ages up to 1 metre trees. I don't like your chances but do prove me wrong and then give me your secret :D

6. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Gday Did You get your Sapotes to grow?

I got Ice cream beans in full fruit here plenty hard cold nights..

I picked pods off a tree in Nimbim back in Febuary during my trip.not sure how ripe but mine are bigger now in midle of winter

Tezza