tomato variety's........

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by copashark, Jul 20, 2009.

1. copashark

copashark Guest

My vege beds have been well rested and layered thickly with maunures, and seaweed. I turned the beds today and the heat and microbes of the horse/chicken manure must have done the trick as the seaweed has broken down and the whole mass is teaming with life...now to the decision

With so many tomato varieties and so little space the problem is what variety of tomato do i plant?? I am on the central coast , close enough to the water so it does not frost in winter. Last year i planted an egg tomoto(variety unknown) early and Grosse lisse very late. The egg tomoto was planted too early, as the first sets of flowers dit not fruit . My research brings my to favour the Apollo improved as an early variety, and then the Rouge de marmande as an early mid.

What are you favouring?

2. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Re: tomato variety's........

Tomatoes typically like a soil temperature above 25 degrees C.

'Roma's' and 'Grosse Lisse' are usually a good choice for most areas.

'Rogue de Marmande' is a good variety for cooler areas.

You could also try 'Black Russian' or 'Amish Paste' if your looking for sauce varieties.

3. Salkeela

Salkeela Junior Member

This site is an inspiration for tomatoes - good pictures and loads of varieties including Amish Paste which I am trying for the first time this year:
    Real Seeds - Tomato page

4. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

Best ones I have grown include Tommy Toe, Tiny Tim, Yellow Pear Shaped Cocktail, Romas, Oxheart, Riesentraube (fruit is delicat but tastes good) Black Russian and Amish Paste.

5. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

G'day
    One of the best varieties I've grown is "Black Russian" is both and early and late variety in that it will grown in lower temperatures. It can handle the heat: they survived our record breaking heatwaves, albeit with protection. And best of all, v.v. tasty and sweet.
    'Tommy Toe' are good for smaller cherry type, good yields, sweet.
    There are lots of varieties that I'm going to try but the Black russian is one I'm sticking with, until I can find it's match.
    cheers