thiram

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by wwoofertobe, Feb 13, 2006.

1. wwoofertobe

wwoofertobe Junior Member

i'm interested to know anyone's opinion on this one, because i cant make sense of it.

i found a packet of corn seed in the shed at home a while back (sow b/f 1997) which i was going to plant for the hell of it until i read where it had been stamped- 'TREATED WITH THIRAM-LORSBAN DO NOT USE FOR FOOD, FEED OR OIL. just wondering if anyone uses corn for anything other than eating, because this seems a pretty screwed up chemical to me and i can't see a use for it here???

btw i wont be able to reply for a week or so, i'm moving to the country today so no more internet at home.

2. spritegal

spritegal Junior Member

Hi turnstile

It was used as a preservative (especially in corn) to stop the kernel being spoiled by fungus or bacteria in the packet, and then on initial planting until the kernel sprouts. I haven't seen it being used for a while, perhaps it has been taken off the market.

3. LittleFish

LittleFish Junior Member

Hi Turnstile

From the web;

Thiram also known as: Anchor, Vitavax Dual, Vitavax Powder, Arborgard, Rabbit Repell, Skoot, Vam.

Uses: fungicide / rodenticide

Chemical group: Dithiocarbamate

Lorsban is an insecticide that has been banned for domestic use in parts of the USA.

I think the prohibition to using as a food source is only intended to apply to the corn seed, not the resulting plants grown from it. Dont know what the residual effect on your soil would be however, would depend on how old the seeds were and the life of the chemicals I guess. Not certified organic though.

Good luck with your move

Stephen