Thermal Lag is about 40 years.

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Rick Larson, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

3. Rick Larson

Rick Larson Junior Member

I've read (or watched on cable tv) bits and pieces of this information, this article has a lot it packed together thanks.

But what I am wondering, is the warming oceans going to change the weather more severely along the coast, and/or what impacts will be felt inland. For instance, this long drought in California, is it because of the warmer Pacific Ocean blocking normal weather patterns? I suspect this is all going to have to be discovered the hard way...

4. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

About the only thing I know for sure in regards to weather is that rain events will become more severe(higher volumes per instance, not higher chance of instances) the warmer it becomes. This will mean more flooding/landslide events for California probably.

Too bad hurricane frequency doesn't go up instead of their raw power as "The System" tries to compensate. I only need 8 more years before I GTFO.

5. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

The warming oceans should not change the weather patterns along the coast - patterns of energy transfer should remain the same provided that the ocean current conveyors are not disrupted. Rain events will be more intense. Warmer oceans also mean rising sea levels due to thermal expansion so low lying areas on coasts will be prone to more severe flooding events and even permanent inundation in some places.

The California drought is due to a persistent high pressure ridge blocking precipitation conditions. I think the jury is out as to whether this can be attributed to climate change.