Permaculture: The Epitome of Evil?

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by Douglas J.E. Barnes, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Douglas J.E. Barnes

Douglas J.E. Barnes Junior Member

I found something interesting in a Google check on books containing the term "permaculture." In the book Organic Lies: Misconceptions of the United States Organic Act in America and the World, the author, Mary Choate, say the the following:
    Uh... yup. Well, what the lies are is not specified, but if they were, debunking the author's evidence would be fun. What the asserted lack of logic is (i.e. specifically what formal or informal fallacies are inherent to permaculture) is unspecified, but I'll go toe to toe with any person on this planet when it comes to logical debate, so perhaps it's best the author chose not to provide any sort of evidence to back her claims. Reason? Well, thats taken by many to mean logic, but can mean rhetoric. But as there is no explanation or evidence, it need not be addressed. As for an antagonism to science, she apparently has not taken a look at the Manual (or blogs like mine). As for the rest, it is such an affront to English grammar that I cannot comment for fear of making a straw man fallacy. I can say this though: the publishing house might want to hire an editor.

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Re: Permaculture: The Epitome of Evil?

This woman seems like she's pretty whacked out, with strange, unsubstantiated ideas. She seems to be lacking knowledge and understanding, and her thought processes and conclusions are totally bizarre.

See this article and see what you think: https://www.milehighnews.com/1editorialb ... en.subpub=

Sue

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yeh!!

yeh she's "sic" alright hey, we haven't used any of the above in our organic system for around a decade now.

sounds like the author is paid by the chemical multi nationals?

len

4. Alex M

Alex M Junior Member

Mahatma Gandhi famously said, "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

This is no joking matter. The fact that this sort of material is being published is a clear indication that Permaculture is having an impact. It's time to get our act together.

They've stopped ignoring us, and have moved onto the next phase. Now is the time to shape up for a fight.

I strongly suggest that everyone familiarise themselves with the tools and techniques of the public relations industry, starting with its father, Edward Bernays.

"It is impossible to fundamentally grasp the social, political, economic and cultural developments of the past 100 years without some understanding of Bernays and his professional heirs in the public relations industry." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bernays

"Bernays liked to cultivate an image as a supporter of feminism and other liberating ideas, but his work on behalf of the United Fruit Company had consequences just as evil and terrifying as if he'd worked directly for the Nazis. The Father of Spin sheds new and important light on the extent to which the Bernays' propaganda campaign for the United Fruit Company (today's United Brands) led directly to the CIA's overthrow of the elected government of Guatemala." https://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/1999Q2/bernays.html

An excellent primer on Public Relations is the book, "Toxic Sludge is Good For You" by Stauber and Rampton. https://www.prwatch.org/tsigfy.html

Happy reading.