Permaculture in Damascus, Syria

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by sagha, Jun 14, 2006.

1. sagha

sagha Guest

Hello!

I am a newbie gardener located in Damascus, Syria. I am trying to learn about permaculture so I can apply it to my own little patch of land, and I would really like to get in touch with anybody else living out here who is also into permaculture and who can hopefully enlighten me with their wisdom, or at least share in the journey with me. It would be great if I could find someone who also lives in Damascus, but I would love even to be able to trade emails with other people in the Levant. I speak both English and Arabic.

Thanks!

Serene

2. Boab

Boab Junior Member

Are you restricted to writing just to people in the Levant or would you write to Australians too?
    There's a girl who was on my PDC course who also speaks Arabic.
    She learned it from her neighbours when living in Sydney.

Welcome to this forum :D

3. sagha

sagha Guest

Hello,

I will write to anybody who writes to me. :) But seriously, I would like to network primarily with people local to me so that I can have someone to talk to about local factors such as translating plant names between Arabic and English, knowing what are the best plants to grow, what to use as compost, the nature of the soil in these parts, dealing with local agriculture philosophies, etc, etc. If someone on here once lived and planted in the Levant (even if they no longer do) that would be great.

Does that make sense?

Serene

4. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Hi Serene,

The head of Permaculture Research Institute (hosters of this site), is named Geoff Lawton, and he has worked a lot in Jordan, as well as Iraq and Morroco. Not having been to any of these places, perhaps some of what he has done will be of use to you.

If you look in the ohoto gallery secttion, you can see some of what he has done. As Geoff has worked extensively in the middle east, perhaps you could contact him personally?

Good luck!

Christopher

5. japhy

japhy Junior Member

Re: Permaculture in Damascus, Syria

I agree Serene, getting in touch with Geoff Lawton, or the permaculture project he did in Jordan, would be your best bet. Having spent some time in Damascus, I can emphasize with the difficulties you're going to face - principally enormous summer heat and water scarcity. But soon you're garden will be greener, less water reliant, and far more productive than anyones!