more shit questions

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by helenlee, Aug 24, 2010.

1. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Um no... I'm on the BIG Western Island of NZ - the one called Australia... I have a wool doona but that's as into sheep as I can be at present.

I have a hole in the ground for a new pond too. I guess you could call it a ditch....

How are our bros in NZ faring on the Shaky Isle BTW?

2. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

eco wasn't he just flirtin' with ya over on another thread a minute ago?
    Men these days ... I don't know ... they just don't do their research!

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I reckon we should present ourselves as a 2 for 1 deal and see if we get a better result....

Yes he was just flirting with me... But he better hurry up or I'll start making eyes at Rob and his beard. You could hide a whole ecosystem in that thing you know!

4. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Helen, i used to be a feltmaker. I've given it up now but i'd love to see pictures of your work. can you put a link in here to your photoalbum?

I was never tempted by the hand carding idea but i guess if you are using the wool off your own sheep you don't have many options. You could try to find one by contacting the spinners and weavers guilds around the country especially tasmania and probably also victoria.

What sort of things do you make? And what sort of wool are you using?

5. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I reckon we should present ourselves as a 2 for 1 deal and see if we get a better result....

Baby doll I don't know about you, but I suspect what I need is a whole harem to myself ...the ones who've had to put up with me solo so far seemed to think I was more than a full time job for one man ;)

he better hurry up or I'll start making eyes at Rob and his beard. You could hide a whole ecosystem in that thing you know!
    It's pretty groovy isn't it?

Now I REALLY have to go & get ready ... I hate getting in the shower in the morning ... or more specifically, I hate getting out. It's still chilly nights & early mornings here.

6. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

i used to be a feltmaker.
    Hi sun burn ... I love meeting other feltmakers. It's still relatively uncommon so it's great to share experience & techniques with other people.

i'd love to see pictures of your work. can you put a link in here to your photoalbum?
    And I'd love to show you some. I thought no one would ever ask! :) I have quite a few on the dreaded facebook. Are you on fb by any chance? If you are send me a friend request & you'll be able to see them ... & photos of the sheep & my little hippy shack.
    If not, you'll have to wait till I get the laptop back & I can upload some to photobucket & post them here .... I don't have time this morning - I have to go to town. I may have the computer tonight if nothing much is wrong with it, or it may be in the shop till next week (god I hope not!). So if you don't hear from me till then that's what the problem is.

I briefly checked the link to your blog the other day ... & as superficial & un-PC as it is of me - I have to say I LOVE your gardening outfit. Absolutely fabulous retro look perfectly put together ... tres chic darling :)
    I was most disappointed not to see any photos of the ducks!!!
    I checked a few random shots while I was there & really liked the first cemetery shot. Also the shot of the baby grave - it's hauntingly beautiful (I have a thing about baby graves) but as far as straight out photographic appeal goes the first one with the roses is great. It's got a sort of Tex-Mex feel to the colours.

OK. Now I AM off this thing & into the big smoke for the day. YUK.

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Morning helen.

On FB i only befriend people i actually know, hence why i have so few friends. :) But you can easily post a link to the album in here and I will do the same so that we can see each other's work. I am happy to share my techniques if i can remember them. I gave it up in 2006. I used to do it in Tasmania but i burnt out. Long story you don't need to hear. But i did do it as a business and that was great for a few years.

About photoblog and the ducks, well i will put up pictures of the ducks but i will do a whole post on them at some point soon and i am collecting pictures at the moment. I think there's somethign wrong with my memory card and I haven't been able to download the pics i took the other day and hence no further blogs just yet but I will post them on my introduction thread/blog which i've been doing for a while now. I am trying to get it moved to the members forum but no success yet.

About my outfit, on photoblog if you put hte mouse over hte pictures you can see little boxes which give annotaed messages you can read if you click on them. Its a nice feature of photoblog and on it, i mention my outfit. The fact that all my shorts were in the wash and my dress is quite an expensive thing. $88 from seafolly. I wear it at home cause its hot here and i don't think it looks so well on me that i can wear it in town. I think i might be too old for it. As to the overall styling, well its all about protecting myself from the sun. My top was made for a cycling trip in India that i went on last year and now its my gardening top. The hat, well, that's obvious. I've since altered it innovatively and put a hole in the top so my bun can go through it. lol, yes i really did that. Now its much more comfortable and I am not forever redoing my bun/ponytail. It probably does look silly but I really can't be arsed. I am perfectly happy to discuss outfits at any time. Always feel free to comment on my clothes on my photoblog. :)

Now i must go and get my new baby chickens. :D

I'll put that link on tonight probably.

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

9. TheKebun

TheKebun New Member

I Use Garlic To Prevent Ticks On The Farm Dogs...

I was told to use garlic to prevent ticks on the farm dogs. I put in about 6-7 cloves of garlic which i mash up to 5 cups of rice which i cook with either chicken parts like neck and bits of fat/bony bits or whatever bits from any animals we slaughtered for the table. The dogs number 7 and i feed these meals with garlic only every 7-10 days. It seems to work for me and the doggies have been flea free for the past 2 years.

10. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I was told by an pld bushman to feed the dogs any ticks picked off them to enhance their immunity to tick toxins.
    This might have worked. i think, they seemed less sensitive to the ticks; although maybe only effectively for one season.

11. meher

meher Junior Member

we used to have goats and chicken and they were such beauties... but we had to give em away due to some reasons.. I wish i could get em alll back :(