Making (Furry) Sun Dried Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Stacm, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Stacm

Stacm Junior Member

I've been gallantly drying my tomato glut in the oven - on 130 for about 3 hours. I've then been bottling my tommies in olive oil, with some garlic and balsamic vinegar.. unfortunately about 2 week later the jar seems to have developed a kind of fur on top. I'm wondering if any expert bottlers can tell me where I went wrong - I sterlised the bottle, keep them in the fridge and I thought that adding vinegar would stop fur (bacteria) etc from happening ..Hmm.. Any advice would be appreciated as I've got glut part 2 ready to go now and I don't want to waste them
    Thanks
    Stacm

2. rentrem

rentrem Junior Member

Was the garlic raw? I know that can be a problem. When I pickle garlic on it's own I fry it in some olive oil first and preserve it in a vinegar and water mix as it can grow nasties just like anything else.

Maybe you could dry the garlic at the same time as the tomatoes and put it all under oil.

Good luck with batch no. 2

Ren

3. Stacm

Stacm Junior Member

thanks Ren
    how much vinegar do you usually put in porportion to everything else ?
    I thought maybe 1 part vinegar to 1 part oil to 3 parts stuff to be bottled, but I wasn't sure

4. barely run

barely run Junior Member

were the tomatoes really dry.....3hrs does'nt sound long enough. Would leave out the garlic it is often a problem. I use 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 oil
    Good luck with next batch
    Cathy

5. rentrem

rentrem Junior Member

yeah, I think leaving out the garlic would be the easiest way, there was a lot of concern about the ability of garlic to support the development of botulinum bacteria years ago when there were 2 nasty outbreaks of botulism in the U.S as a result of inadequate acidification of home prepared garlic preserves. It is very rare but very, very serious so although I still happily pickle garlic I always make sure the ph is O.K.

When I preserve other vegies under oil, capsicum, eggplant etc I slice it and salt it for a couple of hours then bring vinegar to the boil and add the vegies, bring back to the boil and then store them under oil. They keep well and if eaten in a reasonable time have good flavour too.

The garlic I fry in oil and dried herbs and then store in a half vinegar, half water solution with a layer of oil on top. I store all these things in the frig of course.

All the best

Ren

6. baringapark

baringapark Junior Member

Hi all

Are all the tomatoes under the oil? Any above the oil might develop mould. I have dried-tomatoes, in oil, in jars from a year ago and they are perfect. I don't like them too dry, but maybe yours have not dried down enough as has been suggested.

All I do is dry them as far as I like, stuff 'em in clean jars and pour oil over the top until full. Not much help sorry.

E

7. mariet

mariet Junior Member

making (furry) sundried tomatoes

i have done the same as E from Baringapark. I dried the tomatoes usually overnight in the dehydrator. They still won't be crisp after this time unless sliced unevenly and very thin. I put them in a sterilized jar well covered by cold pressed virgin olive oil. I covered them and they last well for at least a year. I don't use vinegar. I know you shouldn't use garlic without the vinegar to affect the ph, but tomatoes on their own are so acid they won't be a risk. Make sure the oil covers well and truly.
    If you don't like your tomatoes so oily, you can freeze them when still a bit mobile and for an extra zing add some chilli. They are fantastic, just pull out of the freezer and eat (before you have to share).
    Done in oil and kept they are fantastic in fresh pesto --- garlic and pinenuts in food processor with olive oil, add dried oily tomatoes and then heaps of fresh basil. Quick meal, just top onto pasta or rice with parmesan cheese. Easy and quick and Delicious. Cheers, Marie