Just joined and wanted to say hi...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by eco_dreamer, Feb 1, 2011.

1. eco_dreamer

eco_dreamer Junior Member

:hi: Well, I only discovered this forum the other day and I must say I'm mighty impressed.

As a bit of a background, I'm a wife and mum of 2 little girls (2.5 and 18m) living in Brisbane's northern suburbs. Its our dream to one day buy a block of land and build our own house......have some chooks, maybe a house cow or some goats, grow our own fruit & vegies and be as sustainable as we possibly can.

We are still looking for that 'magical' block of land but arent entirely sure where to start. What region or community, how much land, what type of soil????

I'm only very very new to this permaculture idea but really love how it works.

If you'd care to share some tips and info, books and websites for beginners, I'd be very greatful.

many thanks

Rachel

2. MFox

MFox Junior Member

Hi!
    Welcome. I am relatively new on this forum too.
    Great dream- my fiance and I are planning on doing the exact same thing in NSW. Great to hear of more people doing it!
    Good luck!
    Mishi

3. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Rachel

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

In my line of work/study, I get asked these very same questions on an almost daily basis. Generally, my initial response is always the same:

At the bare minimum, get a hold of the following (larger libraries should have at least one of) and have a good read:

Buying your bush block
    Buying a bush block in Queensland: A guide to help you make the right decision
    What they didn't tell you about buying a bush block

While the above may be a little dated in terms if legislation (I'll get around to writing up-to-date titles in a similar vein - one for each state/territory - one day...), the overall message is clear: Do your homework!

Of course, from a permaculture perspective (Principle 1: Observe and Interact), having the foresight to research before you purchase your site is always a great way to start your project, and I applaud you for taking this initiative.

Have a look around the web and see what others have done in a similar situation (locality, service requirements, etc.) to the projected needs of yourselves, and learn from their 'mistakes' and 'triumphs'. Searching the PRI Forum (top, right-hand corner) using the term 'buying land' is a great place to start this task.

Sign yourself and hubby up for a PDC, or at the very least, an Introductory Course. The insights (and friends) you will gain at either will be invaluable in the coming months/years.

Finally, if 'true community' is important to you (as it would be with most permies), try to find a place that will allow you to fit in relatively easily, and yet still allow you to stamp your own mark on a shared future.

Cheerio, Markos

4. eco_dreamer

thank you both for the lovely welcome :)

Markos, thank you too for the information you've provided. I'll have a look for those books at our local library too.

I've also had a look at the PDC's offered at Northey Street City Farm but would like to do one of their workshops first which might not be as full on or intimidating as the pdc's (I've been a stay at home mum for nearly 3 years and the grey matter is a bit squishy at the moment - needs some exercise! :) )

The 'true community' you speak of....is EXACTLY what we're looking for. Being a newbie to this, I'm unaware of any communities around Brisbane but would love it if you (or others) could point me in the right direction!

5. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
  6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Welcome. Now is a good time to buy up here as there are a lot of places for sale in the Mowbray valley which is a nice place near port douglas. This has probably got to do with the GFC as many people who buy here do so for investment and business.

How much land do you think you want. Personally I would go for about 5 hectares if you want a cow and that sort of livestock. I'd love a cow and I think one would be great on my neighbours block. I think cows might be somewhat costly to keep because of vet fees and things like that.

Here's the booklist i've used for my place. But as you will see some are tropical. however, the asian book is good for a wider climate zone as many plants will grow elsewhere. Its mostly important for here becuase it harder to grow most vegies here year round because its so hot or wet.

https://www.photoblog.com/ShangriLa/2010/09/09/

If you are living in a house, you could do a lot worse than try to do LInda Woodrows suburban permaculture plan.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If you want to go the whole hog and live in an intentional community you could look at Crystal Waters outside of Maleny. They have properties come up for sale from time to time.

8. eco_dreamer

just had a look at their website - very cool!

Found some great links too that I've been thoroughly absorbed in. I can now add rammed earth houses to my ever growing list of things I'd like to one day have.

9. eco_dreamer

I replied to this the other day and have been waiting for the mods to 'approve' my 3rd post, but just in case I missed something.....(quite possible) :)

Thanks Eco for the info re Crystal Waters....it looks like a fabulous community but for us, its probably a little too much 'community' IYKWIM.

The links on their website have been very enlightening too!

Now off to research rammed earth houses and composting loos!!!!

10. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Rachel

Checkout the QLD communities listed in Cohousing Australia - Projects. Maybe something here will suit your needs. Cohousing is a great way to be part of a 'true community', yet still enable one's family the privacy that most of us crave.

Cheerio, Markos