Interested in volunteering in Ecuador?

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by murray, Apr 16, 2006.

1. murray

murray Junior Member

I have a project opportunity for anyone interested in volunteering in Ecuador.

The area (hinterland of Atacames) is south of Esmeraldas in a distance education school. Kids come there for 2 weeks in every 3 and spend the other week on their farm. There is a regular teacher and farm hand and around 12 students at most.

[​IMG]

Victor has had some involvement and it is a good set up for someone to practise permaculture, teach some english and learn some spanish. There is accommodation available and plenty of opportunity to get away for a trip to the beach or elsewhere (even Victor’s farm and Madre Selva). I have some photos attached and I’ve visited the site so can answer people’s questions. Where else do you think would be worth contacting, I am a bit out of touch with the different institutes around the world. A bit easier to live there than San Lorenzo and opportunities to extend into the wider agricultural community. CEFODI is the foundation (based in Esmeraldas) that runs the farm.

Gavin Tinning
    Dairy EMS Project
    New South Wales Department of Primary Industries

(02) 6626 1115 phone
    (02) 6626 1122 fax
    [email protected]

2. mariet

mariet Junior Member

interested in volunteering in Ecuodor?

This looks very interesting. I suppose it would involve paying your own fare to get there in the first place? What age are the children? What kind of classes are required? and is this a job for a qualified teacher or anyone? How about the food provided? I have a life threatening allergy to crustaceans so this makes my options quite a bit restricted. I'm fine with fresh produce that I can cook myself. I don't speak any Spanish, nor do I have a teaching background. I am a nurse, qualified in general and psychiatric, also experience in management, health promotion and community development. Experience also in permaculture gardening and self sufficiency. I am currently on 3 months long service leave but have no spare cash. Cheers, Marie