Hermits – Avoidant Personality Disorder?…

Discussion in 'General chat' started by kimbo.parker, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

Hermits – Avoidant Personality Disorder?…

Avoidant Personality Disorder?… typical, call it a disorder.

It might be the only sane and rational response to a world dominated by greed and the resultant corruption…entire societies running on the ‘economic rationale’….where the only ones who aren’t playing the game are hiding from it -
    “HERMIT, n. A person whose vices and follies are not sociable.”
    Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary
    “Hermits have no peer pressure.”
    Steven Wright
    “They say that God is everywhere, and yet we always think of Him as somewhat of a recluse.”
    Emily Dickinson
    “I once asked a hermit in Italy how he could venture to live alone, in a single cottage, on the top of a mountain, a mile from any habitation? He replied, that Providence was his next-door neighbor.”
    Laurence Sterne
    “If a hermit lives in a state of ecstasy, his lack of comfort becomes the height of comfort. He must relinquish it.”
    Jean Cocteau
    “I don’t know what impression you might have of the way I live. I live in a quiet place. I do not live as a hermit, though other people would prefer it if I did.”
    Daniel Day-Lewis
    “Hey, over here! Have your picture taken with a reclusive author! Today only, we’ll throw in a free autograph! But wait, there’s more!”
    Thomas Pynchon
    Second Hermit: “Hello, are you a hermit by any chance?”
    Frank the Hermit: “Yes that’s right. Are you a hermit?”
    Second Hermitz: “Yes, I certainly am.”
    Frank the Hermit: “Well I never. What are you getting away from?”
    Second Hermit: “Oh, the usual—people, chat, gossip, you know.”
    Frank the Hermit: “Oh, I certainly do—it was the same with me. I mean there comes a time when you realize there’s no good frittering your life away in idleness and trivial chit-chat. Where’s your cave?”
    Monty Python’s Flying Circus

2. kimbo.parker

a nice lady, google Margaret Rainbow Web
    have made a real difference. But there are no quick fixes for human
    civilisation, or for what we euphemistically call “Climate Change”. The only way
    I can see is to find our own peace, living as gently as we can in the eye of the
    storm, and doing all we can to transform our justifiable anger into
    usable/useful energy. Humans will sooner or later become extinct, the Earth will
    recover from all we have inflicted upon her, and new life forms will develop,
    just as beautiful and complex as those we’ve destroyed. Some would be inclined
    to think of humanity as an experiment that failed – but
    experiments neither succeed nor fail, they simply supply information.”

MRW

she gave me Thadeus Gollas's lazy mans guide to enlightenment....a 10 page game changer.....

she did this after some serious shooting from the mouth of the angry guy,,,,if she'd sconed me with a crow bar it would have had the same effect, initially anyway.
    amazing woman - I went looking for a city based permie arse to kick, and got nailed by a little old Permie lady who stood her ground and did not flinch - out classed and out gunned, i had to back off.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yes kimbo,

just going to respnd to one of your lines with a one liner:

yes if permaculture was applied as it should have been way back then, then maybe just maybe things maybe somewhat different, but no the greed of the upper echalon for wealth and power killed the goose that may have laid the golden egg. too late now it has been turned into a worship and has political over tones.

len

4. CRTreeDude

CRTreeDude Junior Member

Before I met my wife, I actually was seriously considering going off into the forever wild parts of the Adirondacks. Not so much because I don't like talking to people, but because life at 19 just seemed a bit overwhelming to say the least.

Now I own a company, have employees and still some day thing of going off into the wilds... lol But, I am still here because I am still married to the wonderful lady who convinced me not to do it the first time.

But, we live pretty close to be in the middle of now where - which is the compromise.

5. Yukkuri_Kame

Yukkuri_Kame Junior Member

Slightly off topic, but the first quote reminded me of this one:

Ambrose Bierce

6. kimbo.parker

lo hermits

i have an article from a psyche that professes the 'fix' for hermits (APD)

this article was shit scary because it was spot on ;

the author could have called it "blueprint of a hermit" - the first part was a pure "how to make a hermit" recipe.
    the last part was " how to fix a hermit "

i've hidden it, relax!

it is some weird shit though; consider, with all the god dam frgn weirdos getting about,
    desperately needing a fix up;
    i'm thinking JW's, SA's, JS's boguns, bikies, permaculturalists etc. -

that the only fixit manual available is on hermits!!!!!!!!!

oh,................. i did encounter a leaflet locally "Beware the Neo Pagan"

there was a little stack of them on the counter in my general store,,,,
    apparently a co-operation, an initiative of several normaly mutually hostile, local Christian sects.

i thought ' gee that is nice, they are all getting along, working together like that......:! hang on , I'm the only Pagan, Neo or otherwise within coo-eeee!'

:)
    i guess i just 'unite' people huh?

7. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Lovely to have you again grace us with your presence, Kimbo. I have very much missed your often irreverent, yet always entertaining writings.

By demonising you as their token Neo Pagan, it would seem that your local coalition of the Christian willing forgot one of its basic tenets: love thy neighbour. Oh well, as a mutual friend of ours might say, "Don't worry, they're probably not 'real' Christians anyway".

Keep up the good work, Buddy.

Markos

8. kimbo.parker

picture the scene;

tap on the shoulder,,,you turn, it is the ghost of Einstein,
    he's says " keep up the good work buddy".....
    you moved quick, dam fast with the alt/tab,,,but did he see it?, does he know?....did XHAMSTER leave the screen quick enough.

cheers
    markos

9. kimbo.parker

this year, that i''ve been silent (whilst learning to speak Marain)

i discovered the single biggest advancement of my personal thought in over a decade.....i was given the lesson in one of those "better be for a reason, because i don't need a season" meetings with a senior.

i'm just going to blurt it out

"reason is subservient to belief"
    i used to get myself hell confused when demonstrably intelligent people believed such silly things.
    i actually got in a real box thinking i was surrounded by 7 Bn stupid bastards.
    it was a bit of an untenable personal position;

how could i - meningitis survivor at 2 years old ( brain cooked ), first fractured skull (motorbike),
    second fractured skull, (steel trawl warp snapped), third skull trauma ( i hit myself in the head with an axe, not deliberately )

and with a permaculture stacked set of disorders that feed off each other -
    the APD feeds off the manic, which fuels the NPD, which feeds the manic
    (see, systems design! and still not a mandala garden)

possibly get past the "it is worse than you thought kim" thoughts without a better working explanation for my observations.

i found it in;

Motivated Scepticism
    yes indeed, you jot that down.

It works like this; you get your beliefs from your environment and they are 99% learned. You get these early and they form part of your personality hierarchy,,,,they represent you to your self and the world.

the smarter you are, the more you will use your beliefs to reinforce themselves - and you will do this through motivated scepticism.....

intellect subservient to belief!!!!!!!

you know what this means?....it means we are fucked.
    it means that you can not think your way out.
    you can not smart your way out of your box.

it means that any appeal to 'reason' is doomed.

10. kimbo.parker

but on a positive note;

you will likely enjoy the feeling of being absolutely sure you are right.

so much so,
    you will likely want to share your good fortune, maybe pick up some good karma, impress the elders, stand out among the brothers, a proud contributor to the flock, the cause, the word.

and this is the most brain numbingly stupid thing to do -> because beliefs are such personal things,

look at scientists - if you can not reduce it and measure it it pretty well does not exist.
    they live in a world constrained by today's proofs.

look at Scientologists - (loose the grin) they believe - forget it.
    you get the point, "happy in their box".

so i take this new wisdom - and i give it to the internal gang to see what they can come up with.....
    and because these players have, kind of issues, they come up with something that I ( the sum total of their issues ) can really sink my teeth into.

some of my mob are taking it as a challenge, and the others are getting on board.

some will recognise it as the "Ford" manoeuvre, nothing to do with cars, more to do with Beetleguise.

everyone remembers when Ford Prefect was caught at a disadvantage in the editors office and he threw himself out of the window, many many stories up, to obtain the element of surprise,
    his own!

well i reason, i could be happy as someone else, with time.[ my beliefs disagree ]
    i reason i could scam an even froopier existence liberated from the current box.
    i reason, that even if i bent to todays shit market, and sell my place -
    that flush with funds, i could find something else i want to be...........

i have never, ever seen anybody i'd want to be; but that not withstanding, is just my belief.

the internals have command; they are challenged to surmount belief with reason!

wish me luck?
    k

11. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Kimbo, mate...

That could be so... but only if 99% of our belief structure were indeed formed as a direct result of our environment. However, and as a debate as old as time reminds us, this is not necessarily the case. The human psyche (world view) is formed as a direct result of two inputs: nature (our genetic makeup) and nurture (our environment), hence the 'nature/nurture' debate.

So rest easy, Kim. As the human psyche continues to evolve, and the struggle within our mind rages on, 'reason' has just as much a chance as 'belief' in emerging the dominant influencer of our behaviour. Of course, the critical question at present is, do we have enough time?

Markos